Monitoring your car is vital in these modern times, in truth, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the theme we are going to discuss today, one of the indicators that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Toyota Avalon. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Toyota Avalon?.
What does the ABS light on Toyota Avalon signify?
We will start our article content with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Toyota Avalon, to do this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Toyota Avalon?
First of all, it is necessary to describe to you what the ABS of your Toyota Avalon is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Toyota Avalon is made up of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Toyota Avalon
In reality, you can simply come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Toyota Avalon
Now we move on to the section that you are probably more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Toyota Avalon? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is defective. You should be advised that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Toyota Avalon can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Toyota Avalon to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Toyota Avalon: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Toyota Avalon?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some answers to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Toyota Avalon?. The answers will depend on the failures you are encountering. First of all, pass your Toyota Avalon to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Toyota Avalon, don’t think twice to examine our article which points out the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the source of your issue, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Toyota Avalon:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve spotted an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the Toyota Avalon, take a look at the Toyota Avalon category.