Monitoring your automobile is imperative nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is exactly the subject we are going to discuss on this webpage, one of the indications that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Audi A6. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Audi A6?.
What does the ABS light on Audi A6 mean?
We will start our article with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Audi A6, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Audi A6?
To start with, it is vital to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Audi A6 is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Audi A6 is composed of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Audi A6
In reality, you can quite easily come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Audi A6
Now we move on to the part that you are likely more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Audi A6? To begin with, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be aware that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Audi A6 can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them motives the ABS light on your Audi A6 to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Audi A6: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Audi A6?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Audi A6?. The solutions will be based upon the deficiencies you are enduring. To begin with, pass your Audi A6 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Audi A6, don’t be reluctant to browse our article which details the steps to take. Once you have located the origin of your problem, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Audi A6:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve noticed an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Audi A6, do not hesitate to consult our Audi A6 category.