Monitoring your car is imperative in these days, indeed, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account alerts of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is precisely the theme we are going to focus on in this article, one of the symptoms that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Mazda 6. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on Mazda 6?.
What does the ABS light on Mazda 6 mean?
We will commence our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Mazda 6, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Mazda 6?
To begin with, it is essential to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Mazda 6 is used for so that you can understand the remaining of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Mazda 6 is made from different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Mazda 6
The truth is, you can quite easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Mazda 6
Now we go forward to the part that you are most certainly more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Mazda 6? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be advised that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Mazda 6 can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them motives the ABS light on your Mazda 6 to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Mazda 6: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Mazda 6?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Mazda 6?. The answers will depend on the deficiencies you are having. Firstly, pass your Mazda 6 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Mazda 6, don’t hesitate to examine our content page which points the steps to take. Once you have determined the origin of your issue, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Mazda 6:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve spotted an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Mazda 6, do not hesitate to consult our Mazda 6 category.