Paying attention to your automobile is imperative nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car withering away. This is specifically the subject we are gonna focus on today, one of the symptoms that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Kia Soul. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Kia Soul?.
What does the ABS light on Kia Soul signify?
We will start our content with the definition of an ABS warning light on Kia Soul, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Kia Soul?
To begin with, it is fundamental to explain to you what the ABS of your Kia Soul is employed for so that you can understand the remaining of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Kia Soul is consisting of different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Kia Soul
The truth is, you can simply feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Kia Soul
Now we go forward to the part that you are certainly more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Kia Soul? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be advised that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Kia Soul can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them causes the ABS light on your Kia Soul to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Kia Soul: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will undoubtedly turn on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Kia Soul?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Kia Soul?. The solutions will depend on the deficiencies you are having. First of all, pass your Kia Soul to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Kia Soul, don’t hesitate to go through our article which points out the steps to take. Once you have established the cause of your issue, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Kia Soul:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve spotted an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you want more guides on the Kia Soul, go to our Kia Soul category.