Keeping an eye on your automobile is vital in these days, in reality, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is precisely the topic we are going to discuss today, one of the indications that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Kia Sorento. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Kia Sorento?.
What does the ABS light on Kia Sorento indicate?
We will begin our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Kia Sorento, for this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Kia Sorento?
To begin with, it is fundamental to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your Kia Sorento is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Kia Sorento is consisting of different components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Kia Sorento
In reality, you can with ease feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Kia Sorento
Now we move on to the part that you are most certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Kia Sorento? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be aware that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Kia Sorento can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them causes the ABS light on your Kia Sorento to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Kia Sorento: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will inevitably turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Kia Sorento?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some answers to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Kia Sorento?. The answers will depend on the deficiencies you are going through. Firstly, pass your Kia Sorento to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Kia Sorento, don’t think twice to examine our guideline which details the steps to take. Once you have found the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Kia Sorento:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve spotted an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Kia Sorento, do not hesitate to consult our Kia Sorento category.