Keeping an eye on your automobile is imperative nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is exactly the topic we are going to focus on today, one of the indicators that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Kia Optima. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Kia Optima?.
What does the ABS light on Kia Optima indicate?
We will begin our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Kia Optima, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Kia Optima?
To begin with, it is necessary to explain to you what the ABS of your Kia Optima is utilized for so that you can understand the remaining of this guideline. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Kia Optima is composed of several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Kia Optima
In fact, you can with ease experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Kia Optima
Now we proceed to the section that you are most probably more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Kia Optima? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be informed that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Kia Optima can indicate:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them causes the ABS light on your Kia Optima to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Kia Optima: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will undoubtedly come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Kia Optima?
We will now proceed to the section where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Kia Optima?. The answers will might depend on the failures you are having. Firstly, pass your Kia Optima to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Kia Optima, don’t think twice to read our guideline which points the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the origin of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Kia Optima:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve identified an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Often a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Kia Optima, take a look at the Kia Optima category.