Monitoring your automobile is imperative in these days, in truth, if you do not do the minimum routine service of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the subject we are going to focus on today, one of the indicators that most perturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on GMC Acadia. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on GMC Acadia?.
What does the ABS light on GMC Acadia indicate?
We will begin our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on GMC Acadia, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on GMC Acadia?
To begin with, it is vital to explain to you what the ABS of your GMC Acadia is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your GMC Acadia is made from several parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your GMC Acadia
The fact is, you can quite easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the actions that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on GMC Acadia
Now we go forward to the part that you are likely more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a GMC Acadia? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is defective. You should be aware that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your GMC Acadia can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your GMC Acadia to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your GMC Acadia: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will inevitably come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my GMC Acadia?
We will now go forward to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my GMC Acadia?. The solutions will be based upon the failure you are having. First of all, pass your GMC Acadia to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on GMC Acadia, don’t think twice to go through our article content which details the steps to take. Once you have determined the cause of your trouble, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your GMC Acadia:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve identified an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the GMC Acadia, take a look at the GMC Acadia category.