Watching your car is essential nowadays, in truth, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the topic we are going to talk about today, one of the indications that most perturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Ford Fusion. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what to do if the ABS light is on Ford Fusion?.
What does the ABS light on Ford Fusion mean?
We will begin our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Ford Fusion, for this, in first, we will see what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ford Fusion?
First of all, it is important to explain to you what the ABS of your Ford Fusion is employed for so that you can understand the remaining of this content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ford Fusion is made from several components, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ford Fusion
The truth is, you can very easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ford Fusion
Now we go forward to the section that you are certainly more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ford Fusion? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be conscious that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ford Fusion can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Ford Fusion to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ford Fusion: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will inevitably turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Ford Fusion?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some answers to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ford Fusion?. The answers will might depend on the failures you are experiencing. Firstly, pass your Ford Fusion to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ford Fusion, don’t hesitate to examine our content which details the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the cause of your trouble, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Ford Fusion:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve noticed an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the trouble, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Ford Fusion, do not hesitate to consult our Ford Fusion category.