Watching your car is imperative nowadays, in fact, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signals of abnormality, you strongly risk to see your car getting in bad conditions. This is exactly the subject we are gonna talk about today, one of the symptoms that most disturbs drivers is the ABS warning light on Ford F 550. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first take a look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Ford F 550?.
What does the ABS light on Ford F 550 signify?
We will commence our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Ford F 550, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ford F 550?
To start with, it is necessary to explain to you what the ABS of your Ford F 550 is utilized for so that you can understand the remaining of this content page. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ford F 550 is composed of different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ford F 550
In fact, you can quite easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ford F 550
Now we move on to the section that you are certainly more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ford F 550? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is defective. You should be informed that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ford F 550 can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to examine it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them causes the ABS light on your Ford F 550 to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ford F 550: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will occur and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will unavoidably turn on.
What if the ABS light comes on on my Ford F 550?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ford F 550?. The solutions will depend on the failure you are experiencing. Firstly, pass your Ford F 550 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ford F 550, don’t hesitate to read our content page which details the steps to take. Once you have identified the origin of your trouble, here are the steps to take to solve it and turn off the ABS light on your Ford F 550:
- Issue of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical trouble: Once you’ve spotted an electrical trouble with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Occasionally a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the trouble, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the Ford F 550, take a look at the Ford F 550 category.