Monitoring your automobile is essential in these days, in reality, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the theme we are going to talk about today, one of the symptoms that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Ford Escape. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Ford Escape?.
What does the ABS light on Ford Escape indicate?
We will start our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Ford Escape, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ford Escape?
To begin with, it is essential to explain to you what the ABS of your Ford Escape is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ford Escape is composed of different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will review if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ford Escape
In reality, you can with ease come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ford Escape
Now we go forward to the section that you are most likely more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ford Escape? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be conscious that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ford Escape can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A breakdown of one of them causes the ABS light on your Ford Escape to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ford Escape: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will obviously turn on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Ford Escape?
We will now go forward to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ford Escape?. The solutions will be based upon the deficiencies you are encountering. First of all, pass your Ford Escape to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ford Escape, don’t be reluctant to read our article content which points the steps to take. Once you have located the source of your issue, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Ford Escape:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve spotted an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to fix the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you have any further questions about the Ford Escape, do not hesitate to consult our Ford Escape category.