Monitoring your automobile is essential nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is exactly the theme we are gonna talk about in this article, one of the indicators that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Ford Edge. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Ford Edge?.
What does the ABS light on Ford Edge indicate?
We will start our article with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Ford Edge, to do this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and soon after, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Ford Edge?
To start with, it is fundamental to describe to you what the ABS of your Ford Edge is intended for so that you can understand the remaining of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The objective of this system is to optimize the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Ford Edge is made up of different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will analyze if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Ford Edge
In truth, you can very easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is precisely the behaviour that ABS allows, it will optimise braking to the maximum by relating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Ford Edge
Now we move on to the part that you are almost certainly more interested in, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Ford Edge? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be informed that as soon as the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should modify your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Ford Edge can alert:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them causes the ABS light on your Ford Edge to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Ford Edge: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a trouble, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my Ford Edge?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Ford Edge?. The answers will might depend on the failures you are having. First of all, pass your Ford Edge to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Ford Edge, don’t hesitate to examine our article content which points the steps to take. Once you have located the source of your issue, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your Ford Edge:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve identified an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To get more tips on the Ford Edge, take a look at the Ford Edge category.