Monitoring your automobile is important in these modern times, indeed, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is precisely the theme we are going to talk about on this webpage, one of the symptoms that most disturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on BMW X5. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on BMW X5?.
What does the ABS light on BMW X5 mean?
We will begin our content page with the meaning of an ABS warning light on BMW X5, for this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and next, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on BMW X5?
To start with, it is fundamental to describe to you what the ABS of your BMW X5 is employed for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The aim of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your BMW X5 is composed of different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your BMW X5
The fact is, you can quite easily feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by associating the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on BMW X5
Now we move on to the part that you are most likely more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a BMW X5? First of all, it is an orange light, so if it is on it suggest that your ABS system is faulty. You should be informed that whenever the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adjust your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your BMW X5 can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your BMW X5 to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your BMW X5: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to manage your ABS, the light will unavoidably come on.
What if the ABS light activate on my BMW X5?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some answers to turn off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my BMW X5?. The answers will be based upon the deficiencies you are experiencing. First of all, pass your BMW X5 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on BMW X5, don’t think twice to read our article content which points out the steps to take. Once you have determined the cause of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your BMW X5:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve spotted an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the issue, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the BMW X5, do not hesitate to consult our BMW X5 category.