Paying attention to your car is very important nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account symptoms of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the topic we are gonna discuss in this article, one of the indicators that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on BMW 2 Series. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first look at what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to proceed if the ABS light is on BMW 2 Series?.
What does the ABS light on BMW 2 Series signify?
We will commence our content page with the definition of an ABS warning light on BMW 2 Series, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on BMW 2 Series?
To begin with, it is fundamental to demonstrate to you what the ABS of your BMW 2 Series is utilized for so that you can understand the remaining of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The goal of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your BMW 2 Series is consisting of several elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your BMW 2 Series
In fact, you can simply come to feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS permits, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on BMW 2 Series
Now we move on to the section that you are most certainly more curious about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a BMW 2 Series? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it means that your ABS system is defective. You should be aware that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into security mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your BMW 2 Series can point:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your BMW 2 Series to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your BMW 2 Series: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will obviously come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my BMW 2 Series?
We will now move on to the section where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my BMW 2 Series?. The solutions will rely upon the failure you are going through. Firstly, pass your BMW 2 Series to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on BMW 2 Series, don’t think twice to browse our article content which explains the steps to take. Once you have located the source of your problem, here are the steps to take to correct it and turn off the ABS light on your BMW 2 Series:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be adjusted, and in this case, you will have to go through a professional, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve noticed an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, in any other case you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to get rid of the problem, in any other case changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the BMW 2 Series, take a look at the BMW 2 Series category.