Watching your automobile is important in these days, in reality, if you do not do the minimum maintenance of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you strongly risk to observe your car withering away. This is precisely the subject we are going to discuss today, one of the symptoms that most disturbs car owners is the ABS warning light on Bmw 1 series. In an attempt to help you analyze this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second what you can do if the ABS light is on Bmw 1 series?.
What does the ABS light on Bmw 1 series mean?
We will commence our paper with the meaning of an ABS warning light on Bmw 1 series, to do this, in first, we will discover what an ABS is, and afterwards, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Bmw 1 series?
To start with, it is essential to explain to you what the ABS of your Bmw 1 series is utilized for so that you can understand the rest of this article content. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a device that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to optimise the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Bmw 1 series is consisting of different parts, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will evaluate if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will manage the pressure of the pads on the discs to manage the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Bmw 1 series
In reality, you can very easily experience how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the behaviour that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of release to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Bmw 1 series
Now we move on to the part that you are certainly more enthusiastic about, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Bmw 1 series? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it denotes that your ABS system is defective. You should be aware that once the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should change your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Bmw 1 series can signal:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a broken wiring harness, a defective relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to check it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A failure of one of them causes the ABS light on your Bmw 1 series to come on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Bmw 1 series: If it is defective it is possible that the indicator light will come on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to operate your ABS, the light will inevitably come on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Bmw 1 series?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to switch off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Bmw 1 series?. The solutions will could depend on the failures you are encountering. Firstly, pass your Bmw 1 series to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Bmw 1 series, don’t be reluctant to read our article content which explains the steps to take. Once you have uncovered the source of your issue, here are the steps to take to resolve it and turn off the ABS light on your Bmw 1 series:
- Problem of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this case, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to replace the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to replace both of them.
- Electrical issue: Once you’ve identified an electrical issue with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A defective sensor: In some cases a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to solve the issue, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
To find more tips on the Bmw 1 series, take a look at the Bmw 1 series category.