Watching your vehicle is vital nowadays, in reality, if you do not do the minimum service of it, or if you do not take into account signs of abnormality, you highly risk to observe your car getting in bad conditions. This is specifically the subject we are gonna discuss in this article, one of the indications that most perturbs motorists is the ABS warning light on Audi A4. In an attempt to help you review this warning light, we will first check out what this ABS warning light corresponds to, then in a second how to handle it if the ABS light is on Audi A4?.
What does the ABS light on Audi A4 mean?
We will commence our article with the definition of an ABS warning light on Audi A4, for this, in first, we will find out what an ABS is, and later on, why the ABS light on your car lights up.
What is the ABS on Audi A4?
To begin with, it is fundamental to explain to you what the ABS of your Audi A4 is intended for so that you can understand the rest of this article. The ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) is a system that prevents the wheels of your car from locking during braking. The purpose of this system is to lower the braking distance of a car by preventing the wheels from locking, sliding on the road and you losing control of your car. The ABS system of your Audi A4 is made from different elements, here they are:
- Speed sensors on each wheel, which will examine if one of the wheels locks up.
- A hydraulic system and valves that will control the pressure of the pads on the discs to control the braking power of the car
- A computer that is the control center of your entire ABS system as well as the ABS light of your Audi A4
The fact is, you can simply feel how your car’s ABS works. If you have to steer, you will find that your car will brake by pawing, this is exactly the actions that ABS enables, it will optimise braking to the maximum by linking the phases of pressure on the brake discs and the phases of discharge to prevent the wheels from locking up.
Meaning of an ABS light on Audi A4
Now we move on to the part that you are most certainly more keen on, meaning of an ABS warning light on a Audi A4? Firstly, it is an orange light, so if it is on it shows that your ABS system is faulty. You should be knowledgeable that when the ABS warning light is on, the ABS will be put into safety mode, so you should adapt your driving and not take any risks. Here are the different problems that the ABS warning light on your Audi A4 can show:
- It could be a simple short circuit, a damaged wiring harness, a faulty relay or fuse. Use a pressure gauge to verify it.
- A malfunctioning ABS sensor: A malfunction of one of them triggers the ABS light on your Audi A4 to turn on
- The ABS hydraulic block of your Audi A4: If it is faulty it is possible that the indicator light will turn on and you will no longer be able to use your ABS.
- The ABS computer: If the computer has a problem, being the center of all decisions made to run your ABS, the light will inevitably turn on.
What if the ABS light turns on on my Audi A4?
We will now move on to the part where we will try to give you some solutions to shut off this light, and thus answer the following question, what to do if the ABS light is on on my Audi A4?. The solutions will could depend on the deficiencies you are enduring. Firstly, pass your Audi A4 to the diagnostic tool, if you don’t know how to read a fault code on Audi A4, don’t be reluctant to read our article which points the steps to take. Once you have identified the origin of your problem, here are the steps to take to fix it and turn off the ABS light on your Audi A4:
- Trouble of the ECU or the hydraulic block: It can only be altered, and in this situation, you will have to go through a specialist, but if it’s dead, it could cost you around 1000€ to change the ECU and 1500 to 2000€ if you have to change both of them.
- Electrical problem: Once you’ve identified an electrical problem with your manometer, if it’s only a fuse or a relay, count around 10€ maximum, otherwise you’ll have to repair the wiring harness.
- A faulty sensor: Sometimes a simple cleaning of the sensors will be enough to remedy the problem, otherwise changing a sensor can cost up to a few hundred euros.
If you wish more guides on the Audi A4, go to our Audi A4 category.