Although newer cars are getting better and better insulated, they are still get pretty hot during the summer. One of the most basic methods to quickly dissipate this heat during the summer, or help you get rid of the mist in the winter, is to open your windows when you drive. However, sometimes your windows may not open or may get stuck open or close . In such a case, what should I do if I have a window stuck on my Volkswagen Atlas? This is precisely what we will try to answer today, first we will find out the circumstance of a manual window stuck on Volkswagen Atlas, and secondly the circumstance of a power window.
Manual window stuck on Volkswagen Atlas
The mechanisms between a power window and a manual window are different, however, if the window of your Volkswagen Atlas is stuck in the open or closed position , it will not change much on the technical side, but in the open position it is necessarily more frustrating, you risk to have your car stolen, or to endure bad weather and that the inside of your Volkswagen Atlas moulds or has electrical problems because of humidity.
Why is the manual window of my Volkswagen Atlas stuck?
If you are in the circumstance where the manual window of your Volkswagen Atlas is stuck in either the open or closed position, there are two most important reasons that can describe this blockage:
- The window regulator cable is tangled or broken: This will prevent the system from raising or bringing down the window.
- Seals or glass guides are broken: They prevent the glass from moving up and down optimally.
How to open the stuck manual window on my Volkswagen Atlas?
Now we have discovered why the manual window of your Volkswagen Atlas is locked in the open or closed position. We will now discuss the alternatives available to you so that you can unblock the window of your Volkswagen Atlas . To do this, you don’t need very advanced mechanical understanding, the manual mechanisms are quite simple. You will have to take out the seal from your door to access the window lifter system. With a visual verify, you will quickly notice if some parts are damaged like the window supports or a lever arm, if the cable is tangled or if the rails are broken, which will block the window of your Volkswagen Atlas. If it’s only the rails you can try to put them back in web site and lubricate it, otherwise you will have to replace the part, for that you will have to first take out the glass cautiously to access the mechanisms to be repalced carefully.
Electric window stuck on Volkswagen Atlas
Now let’s proceed to the most general circumstance, a power window blocked on Volkswagen Atlas . Obviously, electric windows are necessarily more complex than manual windows and therefore necessarily bring their share of additional problems.
Why is the power window on my Volkswagen Atlas stuck?
So let’s start with the possible origins of a window blocked on Volkswagen Atlas:
- Defective window winder motors: Obviously, it’s one of the most common causes for window winder failure, as these motors tire over time and can be rendered useless. Generally speaking you can find out this because before they resign entirely, they start to tire and the window rises less and less quickly.
- One of the gears of the window lift system seizes or breaks, in this case you should notice a particular noise when you press the window lift button.
- As with the manual window lifter, one of the cables may break or get tangled in the drum of the system, likewise you should notice a noise when activating the window of your Volkswagen Atlas
- The window lift fuse is faulty, so no power supply to the window lift motor of your Volkswagen Atlas
- The switch knob is unplugged or defective
How do I unlock the stuck power window on my Volkswagen Atlas?
Now that we have discovered all the possible motives of a window blocked on Volkswagen Atlas, it’s time to help you correct this trouble, here are the different methods you will be able to put in web site to unblock the window of your Volkswagen Atlas:
- Before you do anything else, cautiously take out your door trim to avoid breaking the staples holding it in web site.
- Once in front of the system, you need to test the electrical installation, disconnect the power cables from the motor and using a voltmeter verify that you have a current of around 12 volts when pressing the window lift button. If this is not the case, you will have to look at the window lift fuse on your Volkswagen Atlas, please refer to our article to help you find it. If your fuse is in good state check your power supply wires, one of them must be cut
- If it is the cable that is tangled, you can try yourself by removing the glass from its brackets to put it back in web site, otherwise it will have to be changed.
- Concerning the engine unit, a basic original replacement will be the best solution, in fact a dead engine unit is not recoverable.
- If it is one of the window supports that is broken on your Volkswagen Atlas, you can easily change them because they are just clipped or screwed on your window.
- At last, if nothing occurs when you activate the switch knob and you have checked all your electrical connections, remove the switch knob to find out if it is effectively connected or if it is not broken.
There, you now know how to get rid of a window stuck on Volkswagen Atlas/strong, some repairs are more complex than others, if you don’t feel able to do them yourself, go to your auto mechanic who will be able to do them for you.
If you have any further questions about the Volkswagen Atlas, do not hesitate to consult our Volkswagen Atlas category.