Keeping an eye on your car on a regular basis is the best thing you can do. Nevertheless conventional routine service is designed to keep your Bmw Serie 4 F33 running smoothly over time, some unpredicted breakdowns can add heavily to your annual motor vehicle budget. In this article we’re going to focus on your sense of smell, and the clues it can give you about a possible malfunction, that’s why our team has made this content to help you in case you identify a burnt plastic smell caused by your Bmw Serie 4 F33 . To help you verify that it is nothing severe, first we will highlight the different things that can produce a burnt plastic smell on your motor vehicle, then, in a second step, how to find the cause of this burnt plastic smell on your Bmw Serie 4 F33? .
The different possible sources and risks of smell of burnt plastic on a Bmw Serie 4 F33
So we begin our article with the different possible sources of burnt plastic smell on a Bmw Serie 4 F33 . Generally speaking, noticing a plastic or rubber smell is hardly ever a good indicator. In truth, recent vehicles are full of it and it could be the sign of a major malfunction. Below we will talk about the different possible origins of burnt plastic smell:
- Transmission oil: This is the most important possible source of such an odor. In truth, the action of gear or transmission oil is to lubricate the different elements of your gearbox so that all the gears and pinions are not damaged, it as well has a second action as a temperature regulator. Nevertheless, in the long run, the oil will lose its efficiency and will not lubricate the parts and control the temperature as well, which will cause the oil to overheat and thus give off that burnt plastic smell on your Bmw Serie 4 F33. You risk pre-wearing your gearbox if you don’t take care of it.
- The accessory belt: Nevertheless rarer, it is possible with wear and tear that your belt, which is specifically made of rubber, will decline and no longer rotate totally on its axis. With the friction that this will cause the plastic will heat up and burn out, this reaction will create a strong smell of burnt plastic or rubber in the engine unit block of your Bmw Serie 4 F33.
- Faulty hose wear: This circumstance arises specifically on Bmw Serie 4 F33 that are starting to get a few years old or that have stayed a long time without rolling. In fact, storing your vehicle unlike what you might presume will cause the plastic parts to wear out more fairly quickly. Hoses are the first to be affected by this phenomenon. The rubber will disintegrate little by little and with the rise in heat of the fluid that circulates in it, it may melt. The risk of this problem is the breakage of the accessory belt.
- A body component: Less common, specifically present on Bmw Serie 4 F33’s that have suffered a small shock. Following a front or rear impact, wheel arches, bumpers or other plastic body parts that may have been bent may rub against one of your wheels and give off that burnt plastic smell. This may as well pre-wear out your tyres.
How to find out where the smell of burning plastic comes from on a Bmw Serie 4 F33?
And now, to finish our content, we’re going to try to help you find the source of the smell of burnt plastic on your Bmw Serie 4 F33 . Now that you know the different possible roots of this smell, we’ll just have to do some checks to eliminate the tracks that don’t concern you and fix your issue quickly. If your Bmw Serie 4 F33 smells hot, don’t hesitate to browse our content on this topic.
- Transmission oil: Nothing could be easier, open your transmission oil cap (when cold) and verify that your oil is reddish in colour and fluid enough. If you find out debris inside, and it is darker, it’s time to replace it. Do not hesitate to consult our content to find out how to change the gearbox oil on a Bmw Serie 4 F33.
- Accessory Belt: Visually check that your accessory belt is not in poor state, it may also make a whistling sound if it is in poor state. Do not hesitate to replace it.
- Hoses: For hoses, you will need to visually verify all your hoses to find out if any are frayed or melted. If this is the circumstance, change them.
- Body parts: Last but not least, the last element that can cause the smell of plastic or burnt rubber on your Bmw Serie 4 F33, a body component, verify all wheel arches, that no component rubs against
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Bmw Serie 4 F33, do not hesitate to consult our Bmw Serie 4 F33 category.