When your car is running normally everything is fine, nevertheless if it starts to have regular problems you may begin to worry, especially if your motor vehicle won’t start. In this article we will learn you where the starter of a Toyota Corolla is, it will help you to solve your ignition problems. To do this, we will first summarize the function of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Toyota Corolla , and, finally, how to change the starter of a motor vehicle.
Role of the starter on your Toyota Corolla
We begin this content by detailing the function of the starter motor on your Toyota Corolla. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its purpose will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is consisting of three most important parts:
- The Solenoid: This part is an electrical relay that will act as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Toyota Corolla and let the current from your battery to the engine of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last component of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it allows to transfer the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine: Main element of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Toyota Corolla and bring about enough speed for your engine to begin.
Where is the starter on a Toyota Corolla?
Now that we have fairly quickly described what a starter is and how it functions, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter located on a Toyota Corolla? It is quite easy to locate a starter, in truth, it is a large component that will almost always be placed in a similar location. We let you discover the two possible locations for your motor vehicle starter down below.
Location of the starter on traditional Toyota Corolla
First and most general case, where to locate the starter of a Toyota Corolla with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a specific objective, to start the engine of your motor vehicle, for that, it must always be near the engine flywheel of this one because it is the component that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is located at the junction between your gearbox and your engine.
Location of the starter to Toyota Corolla with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Toyota Corolla . This case is much less frequent. It only is about engines equipped with start and stop, and a good component of them will be equipped with a starter placed close to the flywheel. Nevertheless, on some specific series or engines, the starter of your Toyota Corolla might be included in your alternator, it is then known as a starter-alternator, to locate it nothing less difficult, locate your accessory belt and you should find out the big starter block.
How to change the starter on a Toyota Corolla?
Finally, we’ll describe to you actually quite fairly quickly how to change the starter of a Toyota Corolla. This process is not actually difficult, it can be considered by people who have a minimum of simple mechanical knowledge and adapted equipment. Stick to down below the most important steps to perform this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Toyota Corolla, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t hesitate to seek advice from our content which details how to do it without taking any risk.
- After discovering your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine block, there will usually be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Toyota Corolla, nevertheless before doing so we recommend you to take a picture of the set up to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to remove it you may need to remove auto parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
Whenever you have any further questions about the Toyota Corolla, do not hesitate to consult our Toyota Corolla category.