When your car is running normally everything is fine, nevertheless if it starts to have frequent complications you might begin to question, specifically if your car won’t start. In this post we will show you where the starter of a Toyota Auris 2 is, it will help you to resolve your ignition complications. To achieve this, we will first summarize the purpose of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Toyota Auris 2 , and, finally, how to replace the starter of a car.
Function of the starter on your Toyota Auris 2
We begin this article by explaining the purpose of the starter motor on your Toyota Auris 2. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its role will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is consisting of three main parts:
- The Solenoid: This part is an electrical relay that will work as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Toyota Auris 2 and let the current from your battery to the engine unit of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last component of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it allows to transfer the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine unit: Main element of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Toyota Auris 2 and bring about enough speed for your engine unit to begin.
Where is the starter on a Toyota Auris 2?
Now that we have quickly explained what a starter is and how it functions, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter based on a Toyota Auris 2? It is quite easy to discover a starter, in truth, it is a large component that will almost always be placed in a similar place. We let you discover the two possible locations for your car starter down below.
Location of the starter on traditional Toyota Auris 2
First and most basic case, where to discover the starter of a Toyota Auris 2 with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a particular objective, to start the engine unit of your car, for that, it must always be near the engine unit flywheel of this one because it is the component that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is based at the junction between your gearbox and your engine unit.
Location of the starter to Toyota Auris 2 with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Toyota Auris 2 . This case is much less frequent. It only concerns engines equipped with start and stop, and a good component of them will be equipped with a starter placed close to the flywheel. Nevertheless, on some particular series or engines, the starter of your Toyota Auris 2 may be built in in your alternator, it is then called a starter-alternator, to discover it nothing easier, find your accessory belt and you should see the big starter block.
How to replace the starter on a Toyota Auris 2?
Finally, we’ll explain to you quite quickly how to replace the starter of a Toyota Auris 2. This procedure is not necessarily difficult, it can be considered by people who have a minimum of simple mechanical experience and adapted tools. Stick to down below the main steps to carry out this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Toyota Auris 2, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t think twice to consult our article which details how to do it without taking any risk.
- After locating your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine unit block, there will in most cases be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Toyota Auris 2, nevertheless before doing so we suggest you to take a picture of the installation to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to remove it you might need to remove parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Toyota Auris 2, do not hesitate to consult our Toyota Auris 2 category.