When your car is running normally everything is fine, however if it starts to have frequent problems you might begin to worry, specifically if your car won’t start. In this article we will teach you where the starter of a Mercedes Benz Sprinter is, it will help you to fix your ignition problems. To get this done, we will first explain the purpose of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter , and, finally, how to change the starter of a car.
Function of the starter on your Mercedes Benz Sprinter
We begin this article by explaining the purpose of the starter motor on your Mercedes Benz Sprinter. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its function will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is built from three most important parts:
- The Solenoid: This part is an electrical relay that will act as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter and let the current from your battery to the engine unit of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last component of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it enables to transmit the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine unit: Most important component of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter and generate enough speed for your engine unit to begin.
Where is the starter on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter?
Now that we have quickly detailed what a starter is and how it works, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter based on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter? It is quite easy to locate a starter, indeed, it is a large component that will almost always be placed in a similar location. We let you see the two possible locations for your car starter below.
Location of the starter on classic Mercedes Benz Sprinter
First and most common case, where to locate the starter of a Mercedes Benz Sprinter with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a specific function, to start the engine unit of your car, for that, it must always be near the engine unit flywheel of this one because it is the component that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is based at the junction between your gearbox and your engine unit.
Location of the starter to Mercedes Benz Sprinter with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter . This case is much less frequent. It only is about engines equipped with start and stop, and a good component of them will be equipped with a starter placed close to the flywheel. Nevertheless, on some specific series or engines, the starter of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter may be built in in your alternator, it is then called a starter-alternator, to locate it nothing less difficult, locate your accessory belt and you should discover the big starter block.
How to change the starter on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter?
Finally, we’ll describe to you quite quickly how to change the starter of a Mercedes Benz Sprinter. This procedure is not actually complex, it can be considered by people who have a minimum of simple mechanical knowledge and adapted equipment. Adhere to below the most important steps to perform this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Mercedes Benz Sprinter, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t think twice to seek advice from our article which explains how to do it without taking any risk.
- After discovering your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine unit block, there will generally be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter, however before doing so we recommend you to take a picture of the installation to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to remove it you might need to remove parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
To get more tips on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter, take a look at the Mercedes Benz Sprinter category.