When your car is running normally everything is fine, however if it begins to have regular complications you might begin to wonder, especially if your car won’t start. In this article we will teach you where the starter of a Ford Edge is, it will help you to fix your ignition complications. To get this done, we will first summarize the function of a starter, then, where is the starter on a Ford Edge , and, at last, how to replace the starter of a car.
Function of the starter on your Ford Edge
We begin this content by explaining the function of the starter motor on your Ford Edge. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its purpose will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is consisting of three most important parts:
- The Solenoid: This part is an electrical relay that will action as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your Ford Edge and let the current from your battery to the engine of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last part of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it enables to send the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine: Most important component of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your Ford Edge and create enough speed for your engine to begin.
Where is the starter on a Ford Edge?
Now that we have fairly quickly detailed what a starter is and how it functions, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter based on a Ford Edge? It is quite easy to locate a starter, indeed, it is a large part that will almost constantly be placed in a similar place. We let you discover the two possible places for your car starter down below.
Location of the starter on traditional Ford Edge
First and most general circumstance, where to locate the starter of a Ford Edge with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a specific objective, to start the engine of your car, for that, it must constantly be near the engine flywheel of this one because it is the part that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is based at the junction between your gearbox and your engine.
Location of the starter to Ford Edge with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your Ford Edge . This case is much less frequent. It just is about engines fitted with start and stop, and a good part of them will be equipped with a starter placed close to the flywheel. Nevertheless, on some specific series or engines, the starter of your Ford Edge may be included in your alternator, it is then called a starter-alternator, to locate it nothing less difficult, locate your accessory belt and you should see the big starter block.
How to replace the starter on a Ford Edge?
Finally, we’ll explain to you quite fairly quickly how to replace the starter of a Ford Edge. This procedure is not necessarily difficult, it can be considered by people who have a minimal of simple mechanical knowledge and adapted equipment. Follow down below the most important steps to perform this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your Ford Edge, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t hesitate to consult our content which points out how to do it without taking any risk.
- After locating your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine block, there will generally be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your Ford Edge, however before doing so we recommend you to take a picture of the installation to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to take out it you might need to take out auto parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
To find more tips on the Ford Edge, take a look at the Ford Edge category.