When your car is running normally everything is fine, nevertheless if it begins to have regular complications you may possibly begin to question, specifically if your motor vehicle won’t start. In this article we will learn you where the starter of a BMW 4 Series is, it will help you to solve your ignition complications. To get this done, we will first summarize the purpose of a starter, then, where is the starter on a BMW 4 Series , and, finally, how to replace the starter of a motor vehicle.
Purpose of the starter on your BMW 4 Series
We begin this article by explaining the purpose of the starter motor on your BMW 4 Series. The starter is an electric motor which is powered by your battery, its job will be to make your engine run at a high enough speed to start it (usually around 300/400 rpm). It is made up of three main parts:
- The Solenoid: This component is an electrical relay that will act as a switch, it will be activated by the key of your BMW 4 Series and let the current from your battery to the engine of your alternator.
- The engagement pinion: This is the last part of your starter, it is the toothed wheel that will be in direct contact with the flywheel, it enables to transfer the force from the starter to the engine.
The engine: Most important component of your alternator, it is the one that will drive the flywheel of your BMW 4 Series and bring about enough speed for your engine to begin.
Where is the starter on a BMW 4 Series?
Now that we have quickly described what a starter is and how it works, we will answer the question that most of you have to ask yourselves where is the starter found on a BMW 4 Series? It is quite easy to locate a starter, obviously, it is a large part that will almost constantly be positioned in a similar place. We let you discover the two possible spots for your motor vehicle starter below.
Location of the starter on traditional BMW 4 Series
First and most general circumstance, where to locate the starter of a BMW 4 Series with a conventional motor (implied without start and stop). The starter has a particular objective, to start the engine of your motor vehicle, for that, it must constantly be near the engine flywheel of this one because it is the part that it actuates when it is used. The flywheel is found at the junction between your gearbox and your engine.
Location of the starter to BMW 4 Series with start and stop
And now second possible starter location of your BMW 4 Series . This case is much less frequent. It only relates to engines built with start and stop, and a good part of them will be equipped with a starter positioned close to the flywheel. However, on some particular series or engines, the starter of your BMW 4 Series may be included in your alternator, it is then named a starter-alternator, to locate it nothing much easier, identify your accessory belt and you should discover the big starter block.
How to replace the starter on a BMW 4 Series?
Finally, we’ll describe to you actually quite quickly how to replace the starter of a BMW 4 Series. This process is not necessarily complex, it can be considered by people who have a lowest of basic mechanical experience and adapted tools. Follow below the main steps to perform this intervention:
- Disconnect the battery on your BMW 4 Series, if you don’t know how to do it, don’t think twice to seek advice from our article which explains how to do it without taking any risk.
- After finding your starter, loosen the fasteners that hold it in your engine block, there will usually be 2 or 3
- It will be time to disconnect the power cables from the starter motor of your BMW 4 Series, nevertheless before doing so we suggest you to take a picture of the installation to avoid making a mistake when reassembling.
- It’s possible that to remove it you may possibly need to remove auto parts like the gimbal.
- Remount the new starter, being careful when connecting the connectors.
- Reconnect your battery and test your starter.
To discover more tips on the BMW 4 Series, take a look at the BMW 4 Series category.