The safety of a car is essential. Even if the Mercedes Benz Sprinter are financial holes, certain maintenance acts are essential. Today we will explain to you when to replace the brake discs of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter? To do this, to begin with, we will see what the brake discs of your motor vehicle are used for, then, when to replace the brake discs of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter, and, finally, how to replace them with new ones.
Benefit of the brake discs of a Mercedes Benz Sprinter
We start our article content by detailing what the brake discs of a Mercedes Benz Sprinter are used for, it will enable you to understand why it is important to ensure that they are always in good working conditions.
Brake discs are the most important component of your braking system. Indeed, braking on an Mercedes Benz Sprinter is hydraulic, it is a system of hoses and pressurized oil that will come into action when you press your brake pedal. This pressure will actuate a piston that will push the brake pads on your brake disc which is mounted on your wheel. When the brake pads will pinch the discs which will cause your Mercedes Benz Sprinter to brake.
When to replace the brake discs of a Mercedes Benz Sprinter?
We will now move on to the part that certainly attracts you to this content, namely, when replacing the brake discs of a Mercedes Benz Sprinter? How we described it to you just before, the brake discs and pads work in osmosis, however these two components are wearing auto parts and they will, after some time and especially the friction when braking wears out and loses braking power. We will now outline the different solutions to know when to replace them:
- We consider that generally the brake discs should be changed every 80, 000 – 100, 000 km on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter , however it is important to know that according to your driving style and the type of journey this can change substantially. In fact, if you mainly drive on the motorway and your brakes are just slightly used, this value can increase, on the other hand, if you just drive in built-up areas, it can decrease.
- A simple and effective way to identify the state of the brake discs on your car is during the technical inspection. In fact this thorough control checks the state of your brakes and the controller will tell you if they are in good state or need to be changed.
- A basic visual way to know when to replace the brake discs on your Mercedes Benz Sprinter is to remove the wheels after the car has been set on stands. Once taken off, you will be able to access your discs and check their state. If they have any big scratches or deformations you will have to replace them. Otherwise the second indicator to check is to measure the depth of the disk in relation to its edge, if this value exceeds 1 mm you will have to change them by new ones.
How to replace the brake discs on your Mercedes Benz Sprinter?
Finally, to end this content we will quickly describe how to replace the brake discs of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter. You must know that if you replace the brake discs of your motor vehicle, you will absolutely have to change the brake pads of your Mercedes Benz Sprinter, don’t think twice to seek advice from our content which explains you how to make this replace.
As far as changing discs is concerned, here are the most important steps to stick to:
- Put your Mercedes Benz Sprinter on stands, take off the wheels you want to action on.
- Using a large flat screwdriver, pry on your brake pads to compress the caliper piston as much as possible and have enough play to produce all your changes.
- Using large Torx bits, remove the two nuts that lock the upper component of your brake caliper, remove it.
- Remove your brake pads, then unlock your brake discs thanks to the two torx screws on the side of the disc, you may possibly need a mallet to remove the discs.
- Replace the discs and tighten them with the new torx screws provided, replace your pads, reassemble the upper component of the caliper and tighten everything tightly.
- Mounting your wheels, and make sure to do a 500-kilometer brake break-in before braking hard.
If you need more tutorials on the Mercedes Benz Sprinter, go to our Mercedes Benz Sprinter category.