The safety of a motor vehicle is paramount. Regardless if the Ford Transit Connect are economic holes, certain routine service acts are fundamental. In this article we will explain to you when to change the brake discs of your Ford Transit Connect? To get this done, to begin with, we will see what the brake discs of your car are used for, then, when to change the brake discs of your Ford Transit Connect, and, finally, how to change them with new ones.
Interest of the brake discs of a Ford Transit Connect
We begin our article by explaining what the brake discs of a Ford Transit Connect are used for, it will enable you to discover why it is necessary to ensure that they are constantly in good functioning order.
Brake discs are the main component of your braking system. Obviously, braking on an Ford Transit Connect is hydraulic, it is a system of hoses and pressurized oil that will come into action when you press your brake pedal. This pressure will actuate a piston that will push the brake pads on your brake disc which is mounted on your wheel. When the brake pads will pinch the discs which will bring about your Ford Transit Connect to brake.
When to change the brake discs of a Ford Transit Connect?
We will now move on to the part that undoubtedly attracts you to this content, namely, when replacing the brake discs of a Ford Transit Connect? How we revealed it to you just before, the brake discs and pads work in osmosis, nevertheless these two components are wearing parts and they will, over time and especially the friction when braking wears out and loses braking power. We will now detail the different solutions to know when to change them:
- We consider that generally speaking the brake discs should be changed every 80, 000 – 100, 000 km on a Ford Transit Connect , nevertheless it is necessary to know that depending on your driving style and the type of journey this can vary significantly. In truth, if you principally drive on the motorway and your brakes are only slightly used, this amount can increase, in contrast, if you only drive in built-up areas, it can decrease.
- A simple and effective way to find out the condition of the brake discs on your motor vehicle is during the technical inspection. In truth this thorough control checks the state of your brakes and the controller will tell you if they are in good condition or need to be changed.
- A simple visual way to know when to change the brake discs on your Ford Transit Connect is to remove the wheels after the car has been set on stands. Once taken off, you will have the ability to access your discs and check their condition. If they have any big scratches or deformations you will have to change them. Otherwise the second indicator to check is to measure the depth of the disk in relation to its edge, if this value exceeds 1 mm you will have to change them by new ones.
How to change the brake discs on your Ford Transit Connect?
Finally, to conclude this content we will quickly show you how to change the brake discs of your Ford Transit Connect. You must know that if you change the brake discs of your car, you will absolutely have to change the brake pads of your Ford Transit Connect, don’t think twice to seek advice from our content which exposes you how to make this change.
As far as changing discs is concerned, here are the main steps to stick to:
- Put your Ford Transit Connect on stands, take off the wheels you want to act on.
- Using a large flat screwdriver, pry on your brake pads to compress the caliper piston as much as possible and have enough play to make all your changes.
- Using large Torx bits, take out the two nuts that lock the upper component of your brake caliper, take out it.
- Take out your brake pads, then unlock your brake discs thanks to the two torx screws on the side of the disc, you might need a mallet to remove the discs.
- Replace the discs and tighten them with the new torx screws provided, change your pads, reassemble the upper component of the caliper and tighten everything tightly.
- Mounting your wheels, and remember to do a 500-kilometer brake break-in before braking hard.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Ford Transit Connect, do not hesitate to consult our Ford Transit Connect category.