In this article we are going to check out a problem that may prove to be dangerous. If you detect any handling or grip problems on your BMW 3 Series , it is necessary that you drive attentively and manage it fairly quickly. Our team has written and published this article content to help you solve them. First, we’ll fairly quickly check out the principal parts that ensure effective road handling, then we’ll check out why your BMW 3 Series doesn’t hold the road any more, and at last we’ll check out how to solve your grip problems.
What are the main components that ensure good road holding and handling on a BMW 3 Series?
We begin this content page by fairly quickly explaining the main parts that will guarantee good road holding for your BMW 3 Series. It’s necessary to know that a vehicle’s grip is a science in itself. It will as a result be based upon many elements, we will show you down below the main ones that can be influenced:
- Shock absorbers: The main parts of your road handling, they perpetually guarantee the contact between the wheels and the road. They absorb all shocks and holes on the road.
- Tyres: They are the ones that will guarantee the grip of your BMW 3 Series on the road, the softer they are, the more grip you have, but the faster they get broken, the harder they are, the less grip you have, but the more resistant they are. Temperature impacts their wear. Their size will as well play on grip, the wider they are the more contact with the ground will be important.
- The center of gravity: The higher your car is going to be, the more it will lean in the corners and therefore lose handling, that’s why low profile sports cars grip better than very high 4×4’s
- Wheel Alignment: This adjustment allows you to control the vertical angle of your car’s wheels, it is therefore essential for the grip of your car and the wear of your tires. This adjustment is very particular and must be done by specialists.
There are many other parts to take into account such as wheelbase, ground clearance, chassis rigidity, weight and aerodynamics…
Why is my BMW 3 Series having problems with my car’s handling or grip?
We will now move on to the part that concerns you the most, why my BMW 3 Series has handling problems? As we mentioned above, there are a lot of components to take into account for your car to have a good grip, however there are few that can evolve with time, most of them are intrinsic to the construction of the vehicle, we will find out right away those that can affect your handling and road, and, why:
- As we revealed above, the rubber of the tyres has a crucial function in the good road holding of your car, if your tyres are dead, you may have problems of road holding on wet road at first and when you reach the “cord” even on dry road.
- Dead shock absorbers: If your shock absorbers are dead, your car will no longer have the ability to absorb the irregularities of the road effectively and it will often “float”, which will result in a bad distribution of the masses on the vehicle and shift the centre of gravity of the vehicle. You risk slipping in the bends.
- The risk with a misalignment is that your ground contact area is reduced due to a too open or too closed wheel angle, you will have grip problems.
- A steering problem: Last but not least, the last essential part for good road handling is that all the components of your steering must be in good state. The most classic circumstance is that your stabilizer bar or the silent blocks of your steering triangles are dead. The result will be a delay in your changes of direction.
How do you solve the handling problems?
We now move on to the different solutions to solve your road holding problems on your BMW 3 Series .
- Tyres: Nothing could be easier, just replace your tyres, make sure to check them attentively and replace them when you get to the visual indicator in the grooves of your tyres. It is generally necessary to count between 100 and 200 euros for a pair of tires.
- Shock absorbers: Ditto, dead shock absorbers have to be changed, if you want to know when to change the shock absorbers of a BMW 3 Series, please have a check out our content page on this theme. The price can vary a lot, but you will have to count at least 400€
- Wheel alignment: You will have to go to your mechanic to have it solved, it will cost you less than 100€?
- Steering: If you have problems with the handling on BMW 3 Series due to your steering, there might be several components involved, in this case you will have to produce a complete check-up of these components, the best is to call a specialist.
To find more tips on the BMW 3 Series, take a look at the BMW 3 Series category.