Learning to drive a vehicle is not always convenient, and often it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Subaru Impreza, if it’s for simple comfort or ease of use, this type of transmission is becoming more and more known. However, while they might seem like an ideal solution, there may possibly as well be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your Subaru Impreza . This is precisely the theme of our content page. First, we’ll quickly describe the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you may possibly come across with the gearbox of your Subaru Impreza , and, at last, how to fix them.
The different sort of automatic gearbox of a Subaru Impreza
Gearboxes have the benefit of being reputed to be trustworthy, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and everything is electronically and mechanically controlled there will be no premature wear of your clutch or other parts that could be put to the test by misuse on your component.
However, depending on the type of automatic transmission your Subaru Impreza is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will introduce them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will manage the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved quite a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized mechanism that will replace the driver’s action. This type of gearbox is less and less common because they are considered very slow. We as well often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the best automatic transmission, it functions on similar principle as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or increased fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is similar principle as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are particularly slow and tend to be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Subaru Impreza.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my Subaru Impreza
We now begin the component that surely attracts you the most in this post, what are the complications you may encounter with the automatic transmission of your Subaru Impreza? As explained above, in general they are more reliable than manual transmissions, however, here are the most important complications you may come across:
- As revealed over, no matter what type of automatic gearbox, they are often established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is designed to appear only when the car is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it happens all the time, the clutch or converter is most likely dead.
- I have the impression that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Subaru Impreza no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the impression that your gears no longer shift or tend to jump on your Subaru Impreza, there is a component that is most certainly to blame for this failure. In actual fact, the solenoid that works as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be functioning effectively, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be defective and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you experience drops caused by the automatic gearbox of your Subaru Impreza: If you experience a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad info
- My Subaru Impreza’s automatic transmission is leaking: At last, if your Subaru Impreza’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most likely one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a Subaru Impreza?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the solutions to fix the automatic transmission complications on your Subaru Impreza . Find them down below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Subaru Impreza: Find the source of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it conducted by a professional, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, specifically for the labour. Do not hesitate to read our content page on gearbox oil leaks on Subaru Impreza.
- Sensor issue: No matter which sensor is involved, a replacement is the only remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros dependent on the difficulty of access to the one that worries you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your Subaru Impreza, you will only need to do a complete gearbox change to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Subaru Impreza slips: In such a case, you certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to change the clutch, and on some models you won’t be able to change it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on Subaru Impreza, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the most important ones, no matter the reason, for such difficult mechanisms. When you feel a problem on this level, we recommend you to go fairly quickly to your mechanic.
If perhaps you have any further questions about the Subaru Impreza, do not hesitate to consult our Subaru Impreza category.