Learning to drive a vehicle is not constantly convenient, and often it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Mazda Mx5, whether it’s for very easy convenience or ease of use, this sort of transmission is becoming more and more known. However, although they might seem like a perfect choice, there might as well be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your Mazda Mx5 . This is exactly the topic of our content. First, we’ll briefly describe the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you might encounter with the gearbox of your Mazda Mx5 , and, finally, how to solve them.
The different kind of automatic gearbox of a Mazda Mx5
Gearboxes have the advantage of being known to be solid, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and everything is electronically and mechanically managed there will be no early wear of your clutch or other components that could be put to the test by misuse on your part.
However, based on the sort of automatic transmission your Mazda Mx5 is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will introduce them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will control the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved quite a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized mechanism that will replace the driver’s action. This sort of gearbox is less and less common because they are thought to be very slow. We as well often feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the greatest automatic transmission, it works on the same principle as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or increased fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are especially slow and tend to be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Mazda Mx5.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my Mazda Mx5
We now begin the part that definitely attracts you the most in this post, what are the complications you may encounter with the automatic transmission of your Mazda Mx5? As described above, generally speaking they are more reliable than manual transmissions, nevertheless, here are the most important complications you may encounter:
- As explained over, no matter what sort of automatic gearbox, they are often established to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. However, this phenomenon is designed to occur only when the vehicle is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it comes about constantly, the clutch or converter is most certainly dead.
- I have the impression that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Mazda Mx5 no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the impression that your gears no longer shift or tend to jump on your Mazda Mx5, there is a part that is undoubtedly to blame for this failure. In fact, the solenoid that acts as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be functioning effectively, second option, a speed or engine unit speed sensor may be faulty and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you feel drops caused by the automatic gearbox of your Mazda Mx5: If you feel a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad info
- My Mazda Mx5’s automatic transmission is leaking: Finally, if your Mazda Mx5’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most likely one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a Mazda Mx5?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the solutions to resolve the automatic transmission complications on your Mazda Mx5 . Find them down below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Mazda Mx5: Find the source of the leak, and replace the concerned gasket, get it conducted by a specialist, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, specifically for the labour. Do not think twice to read our content on gearbox oil leaks on Mazda Mx5.
- Sensor problem: No matter which sensor is concerned, a replacement is the only remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros dependent on the difficulty of access to the one that worries you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your Mazda Mx5, you will only need to do a whole gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Mazda Mx5 slips: In this instance, you clearly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t be able to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on Mazda Mx5, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the most important ones, whatever the case, for such difficult mechanisms. Once you feel a problem on this level, we suggest you to go quickly to your mechanic.
To get more tips on the Mazda Mx5, take a look at the Mazda Mx5 category.