Learning to drive a vehicle is not always convenient, and sometimes it may seem like a good solution to select an automatic Honda Insight, whether it’s for basic convenience or ease of use, this type of transmission is becoming more and more prevailing. Nevertheless, although they may seem like a perfect choice, there might as well be complications with the automatic gearboxes of your Honda Insight . This is precisely the theme of our content. First, we’ll briefly describe the different types of automatic gearboxes, then, in a second step, which complications you might come across with the gearbox of your Honda Insight , and, at last, how to resolve them.
The different sort of automatic gearbox of a Honda Insight
Gearboxes have the benefit of being reputed to be solid, as you don’t need to use your clutch pedal and every thing is electronically and mechanically controlled there will be no premature wear of your clutch or other elements that could be put to the test by misuse on your part.
Nevertheless, based on the type of automatic transmission your Honda Insight is equipped with you will have more or less reliability, we will present them to you now:
- Common automatic gearbox: It will use a torque converter, which will control the gear changes, it’s the oldest technology, it has evolved a lot in the last decades (more gears and a better management of the gear changes).
- Robotized automatic gearbox: This is a manual gearbox with a robotized system that will change the driver’s action. This type of gearbox is less and less basic because they are thought to be very slow. We as well generally feel a coupling during deceleration.
- Dual-clutch automatic transmission: This is the best automatic transmission, it functions on the same concept as the robotic transmission, but thanks to its dual clutch, you won’t have any more complications with slow speeds or increased fuel consumption. They are often fitted on luxury models.
- Continuously variable automatic box: It is the same theory as on a scooter, a variator will come to control the differences between acceleration and motor speed, they are particularly slow and often be unresponsive during the acceleration phases of your Honda Insight.
I’m having complications with the automatic transmission on my Honda Insight
We now start the part that absolutely attracts you the most in this post, what are the complications you may face with the automatic transmission of your Honda Insight? As described earlier, generally speaking they are more reliable than manual transmissions, nevertheless, here are the most important complications you may come across:
- As explained over, no matter what type of automatic gearbox, they are generally known to be slow and have inertia when accelerating. Nevertheless, this phenomenon is designed to happen just when the vehicle is started, not when it is launched. If it feels like it occurs constantly, the clutch or converter is probably dead.
- I have the feeling that a gear in the automatic transmission of my Honda Insight no longer shifts or jumps: If you have the feeling that your gears no longer shift or often jump on your Honda Insight, there is a part that is undoubtedly to blame for this failure. In fact, the solenoid that acts as a “switch” to engage the gears must not be working properly, second option, a speed or engine speed sensor may be faulty and send the wrong information to your gearbox.
- If you experience drops caused by the automatic gearbox of your Honda Insight: If you experience a clutch when you go up or when you slow down, it is either your oil which is too old and which does not lubricate any more adequately all the mechanisms of your gearbox, or else a sensor which gives bad information
- My Honda Insight’s automatic transmission is leaking: At last, if your Honda Insight’s automatic transmission is leaking, it’s most likely one of your spy seals is too worn.
How do I fix automatic transmission complications on a Honda Insight?
And finally, we’re going to try to give you the strategies to correct the automatic transmission complications on your Honda Insight . Find them just below:
- Oil leak on the automatic gearbox of a Honda Insight: Discover the source of the leak, and change the concerned gasket, get it conducted by a professional, opening a gearbox is not easy. It will cost you a few hundred euros, especially for the labour. Do not hesitate to read our content on gearbox oil leaks on Honda Insight.
- Sensor problem: No matter which sensor is concerned, a replacement is the just remedy, sensors do not repair themselves, you should count from 100 to a few hundred euros dependent on the difficulty of access to the one that concerns you.
- Couplings: If you have complications with the couplings on your Honda Insight, you will only need to do a complete gearbox replace to gain comfort and preserve your gears.
- The automatic gearbox of my Honda Insight slips: In this case, you most certainly have a dead clutch disc, you will have to replace the clutch, and on some models you won’t be able to replace it without doing a standard exchange of the gearbox, be prepared to spend more than a thousand euros.
There are other automatic transmission complications on Honda Insight, such as electronic problems or pressure complications, but this list lists the most important ones, no matter the reason, for such difficult mechanisms. Once you feel a problem on this level, we suggest you to go quickly to your mechanic.
To get more tips on the Honda Insight, take a look at the Honda Insight category.