We continue our series of content articles on what can get stuck on your motor vehicle. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll check out why the key is stuck in your Toyota Camry ignition . Specially frustrating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and therefore from using your motor vehicle. We will so do everything we can to help you fix this issue as soon as possible. To achieve this, first, we will show you to you what the ignition of your motor vehicle is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Toyota Camry is stuck? And, finally, how to unblock the key stuck in your Toyota Camry ignition.
What’s the aim of my Toyota Camry’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Toyota Camry is a secureness feature. Its intent is to protect your car from theft tries. It is installed on the steering column of your motor vehicle, invented in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its intent is to prevent your Toyota Camry from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not identify your motor vehicle key. It is closely linked to the starter switch which will integrate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we speak about blocked neiman we generally make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your motor vehicle.
Why is the key stuck in your Toyota Camry ignition?
Now it’s time to show you to you why the key is stuck in your Toyota Camry ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve explained what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Toyota Camry that is blocked, do not think twice to consult our content page on this matter. A neiman is not a wearing part that you change regularly but time has an influence on it and it can appear that you have to change it due to regular wear and tear. Here are the different explanations of a ignition that locks on Toyota Camry :
- Regular wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Toyota Camry : As we said earlier, over time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become filled with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working correctly. In this case, you should feel struggle inserting and turning the key before it locks totally.
- A component of the ignition of your Toyota Camry that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we described in introduction, when we mention the neiman we tend to include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Toyota Camry: At last, last opportunity, and it’s more or less logical, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your motor vehicle before, he may have twisted internal elements and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Toyota Camry ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for dealing with a key stuck in your Toyota Camry ignition . Depending to the source of your issue the solutions will not be the same, find them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked due to a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try gently with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the duplicate of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Toyota Camry is clogged due to impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few minutes, it should unblock the neiman of your Toyota Camry.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition due to a defective element: If finally it is due to an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will sadly have to change the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we advise you to go to a specialist who will also have to give you a new key to begin your Toyota Camry.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Toyota Camry, do not hesitate to consult our Toyota Camry category.