We continue our series of content articles on what can get stuck on your motor vehicle. After discovering why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Toyota 86 ignition . Especially annoying, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from using your motor vehicle. We will consequently do everything we can to help you solve this issue as quickly as possible. To get this done, first, we will describe to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Toyota 86 is stuck? And, to conclude, how to unblock the key stuck in your Toyota 86 ignition.
What’s the goal of my Toyota 86’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Toyota 86 is a security part. Its intent is to protect your car from theft attempts. It is situated on the steering column of your motor vehicle, developed in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its intent is to prevent your Toyota 86 from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your motor vehicle key. It is closely connected to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we speak about blocked neiman we quite often refer to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your motor vehicle.
Why is the key stuck in your Toyota 86 ignition?
Now it’s time to describe to you why the key is stuck in your Toyota 86 ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve explained what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Toyota 86 that is blocked, do not hesitate to seek advice from our content on this subject matter. A neiman is not a wearing part that you replace regularly but time has an influence on it and it can occur that you have to replace it as a result of normal wear and tear. Here are the different explanations of a ignition that locks on Toyota 86 :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Toyota 86 : As we stated above, over time, the elements of the neiman can become seized up, or become packed with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from functioning effectively. In this case, you should experience struggle inserting and turning the key before it locks completely.
- A component of the ignition of your Toyota 86 that fails: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we explained in introduction, when we speak about the neiman we tend to include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is faulty, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Toyota 86: Finally, last opportunity, and it’s more or less obvious, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your motor vehicle before, he may have twisted internal components and thus broken the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Toyota 86 ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for resolving a key stuck in your Toyota 86 ignition . According to the origin of your issue the solutions will not be the same, locate them down below:
- Ignition barrel blocked as a result of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try softly with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Toyota 86 is clogged as a result of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a couple of minutes, it should unblock the neiman of your Toyota 86.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition as a result of a faulty element: If finally it is as a result of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will regrettably have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we advise you to go to a expert who will as well have to give you a new key to start your Toyota 86.
To discover more tips on the Toyota 86, take a look at the Toyota 86 category.