We continue our series of articles on what can get stuck on your motor vehicle. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, in this article we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Land Rover LR4 ignition . Especially irritating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and therefore from using your motor vehicle. We will consequently do everything we can to help you remedy this issue as soon as possible. To achieve this, first, we will explain to you what the ignition of your motor vehicle is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Land Rover LR4 is stuck? And, at last, how to unblock the key stuck in your Land Rover LR4 ignition.
What’s the aim of my Land Rover LR4’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Land Rover LR4 is a security element. Its purpose is to secure your car from theft tries. It is placed on the steering column of your motor vehicle, invented in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its purpose is to prevent your Land Rover LR4 from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your motor vehicle key. It is closely connected to the starter switch which will integrate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we quite often make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your motor vehicle.
Why is the key stuck in your Land Rover LR4 ignition?
Now it’s time to explain to you why the key is stuck in your Land Rover LR4 ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve detailed what the ignition is, it’s time to find out why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Land Rover LR4 that is blocked, do not hesitate to consult our content on this matter. A neiman is not a wearing component that you change repeatedly but time has an influence on it and it can appear that you have to change it due to regular wear and tear. In this article are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Land Rover LR4 :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Land Rover LR4 : As we stated above, over time, the elements of the neiman can become seized up, or become packed with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working correctly. In this case, you should experience complications inserting and turning the key before it locks completely.
- An element of the ignition of your Land Rover LR4 that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we revealed in introduction, when we mention the neiman we tend to include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is faulty, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Land Rover LR4: At last, last opportunity, and it’s more or less obvious, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your motor vehicle before, he may have twisted internal components and thus broken the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Land Rover LR4 ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for resolving a key stuck in your Land Rover LR4 ignition . Depending to the source of your issue the solutions will not be the same, find them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked due to a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try gently with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the duplicate of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Land Rover LR4 is clogged due to impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few moments, it should unblock the neiman of your Land Rover LR4.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition due to a faulty element: If finally it is due to an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will unfortunately have to change the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we suggest you to go to a professional who will also have to give you a new key to begin your Land Rover LR4.
To find more tips on the Land Rover LR4, take a look at the Land Rover LR4 category.