We continue our series of web content on what can get stuck on your car. After discovering why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, today we’ll check out why the key is stuck in your Honda Insight ignition . Specially frustrating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and consequently from employing your car. We will so do everything we can to help you fix this problem as soon as possible. To achieve this, first, we will show you to you what the ignition of your car is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Honda Insight is stuck? And, to finish, how to unblock the key stuck in your Honda Insight ignition.
What’s the purpose of my Honda Insight’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Honda Insight is a security component. Its goal is to protect your car from theft attempts. It is placed on the steering column of your car, invented in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its goal is to prevent your Honda Insight from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not identify your car key. It is closely linked to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we speak about blocked neiman we quite often make reference to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Honda Insight ignition?
Now it’s time to show you to you why the key is stuck in your Honda Insight ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve described what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Honda Insight that is blocked, do not think twice to seek advice from our content page on this subject. A neiman is not a wearing part that you change regularly but time has an influence on it and it can appear that you have to change it due to regular wear and tear. Here are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Honda Insight :
- Regular wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Honda Insight : As we stated over, over time, the components of the neiman can become seized up, or become packed with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working effectively. In this case, you should feel complications inserting and turning the key before it locks entirely.
- An element of the ignition of your Honda Insight that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we described in introduction, when we talk about the neiman we tend to include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is faulty, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Honda Insight: Finally, last possibility, and it’s more or less obvious, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal components and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Honda Insight ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for dealing with a key stuck in your Honda Insight ignition . According to the source of your problem the solutions will not be similar, find them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked due to a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is obvious that your neiman will not unblock. Try softly with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Honda Insight is clogged due to impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a short while, it should unblock the neiman of your Honda Insight.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition due to a faulty element: If finally it is due to an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will sadly have to change the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we suggest you to go to a expert who will also have to give you a new key to begin your Honda Insight.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Honda Insight, do not hesitate to consult our Honda Insight category.