We continue our series of content articles on what can get stuck on your car. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, in this article we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Ford Mustang ignition . Particularly annoying, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and therefore from utilising your car. We will so do everything we can to help you remedy this issue as soon as possible. To get this done, first, we will show you to you what the ignition of your motor vehicle is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Ford Mustang is stuck? And, at last, how to unblock the key stuck in your Ford Mustang ignition.
What’s the aim of my Ford Mustang’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Ford Mustang is a security part. Its aim is to protect your car from theft attempts. It is situated on the steering column of your car, created in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its aim is to prevent your Ford Mustang from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not identify your car key. It is closely linked to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we speak about blocked neiman we quite often refer to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Ford Mustang ignition?
Now it’s time to show you to you why the key is stuck in your Ford Mustang ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve described what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Ford Mustang that is blocked, do not think twice to have a look at our content on this subject. A neiman is not a wearing part that you replace regularly but time has an influence on it and it can appear that you have to replace it due to normal wear and tear. In this article are the different reasons of a ignition that locks on Ford Mustang :
- Regular wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Ford Mustang : As we explained over, with time, the elements of the neiman can become seized up, or become loaded with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from working correctly. In such a case, you should feel complications inserting and turning the key before it locks entirely.
- An element of the ignition of your Ford Mustang that breaks down: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we revealed in introduction, when we speak about the neiman we tend to include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Ford Mustang: Finally, last opportunity, and it’s more or less rational, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal elements and thus broken the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Ford Mustang ignition barrel?
We now proceed to the solutions available to you for resolving a key stuck in your Ford Mustang ignition . Depending to the origin of your issue the solutions will not be the same, discover them below:
- Ignition barrel blocked due to a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is logical that your neiman will not unblock. Try softly with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the copy of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Ford Mustang is clogged due to impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a few moments, it should unblock the neiman of your Ford Mustang.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition due to a defective element: If finally it is due to an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will unfortunately have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we advise you to go to a specialist who will also have to give you a new key to start your Ford Mustang.
To find more tips on the Ford Mustang, take a look at the Ford Mustang category.