We continue our series of web content on what can get stuck on your car. After seeing why your fuel flap or hood could get stuck, in this article we’ll take a look at why the key is stuck in your Chevrolet HHR ignition . Particularly irritating, having a stuck ignition cylinder will prevent you from starting and therefore from employing your car. We will so do everything we can to help you resolve this issue as quickly as possible. To achieve this, first, we will show you to you what the ignition of your motor vehicle is used for, then in a second time, why the ignition barrel of your Chevrolet HHR is stuck? And, finally, how to unblock the key stuck in your Chevrolet HHR ignition.
What’s the intent of my Chevrolet HHR’s ignition lock?
The ignition lock of your Chevrolet HHR is a security part. Its goal is to protect your car from theft attempts. It is situated on the steering column of your car, developed in 1931 by Abram Neiman. Its goal is to prevent your Chevrolet HHR from starting by blocking the steering and the steering lock if it does not recognize your car key. It is closely linked to the starter switch which will incorporate the key lock and an electric switch. There is a tendency to confuse the starter switch and the neiman, and when we talk about blocked neiman we often refer to a key that does not turn or does not turn well in the cylinder of the lock of your car.
Why is the key stuck in your Chevrolet HHR ignition?
Now it’s time to show you to you why the key is stuck in your Chevrolet HHR ignition cylinder . Now that we’ve detailed what the ignition is, it’s time to identify why it’s stuck. If it is the steering wheel of your Chevrolet HHR that is blocked, do not hesitate to consult our article on this subject matter. A neiman is not a wearing component that you replace repeatedly but time has an influence on it and it can occur that you have to replace it because of normal wear and tear. In this article are the different explanations of a ignition that locks on Chevrolet HHR :
- Normal wear and tear on the ignition barrel of your Chevrolet HHR : As we stated above, over time, the elements of the neiman can become seized up, or become loaded with dust or small particles from the outside that will prevent it from functioning properly. In this case, you should experience difficulty inserting and turning the key before it locks entirely.
- An element of the ignition of your Chevrolet HHR that fails: In the same logic, an element of the neiman can fail. As we described in introduction, when we talk about the neiman we often include, the cylinder, the lock and the starter switch, if one of these parts is defective, the neiman will not let the key turn in the cylinder of the lock
- Someone forced too much on the ignition barrel of your Chevrolet HHR: Finally, last opportunity, and it’s more or less rational, if someone forced too much on the neiman in unlocking the steering wheel of your car before, he may have twisted internal components and thus damaged the neiman of it.
How do I unlock the key stuck in my Chevrolet HHR ignition barrel?
We now move on to the solutions available to you for solving a key stuck in your Chevrolet HHR ignition . Depending to the source of your issue the solutions will not be similar, locate them down below:
- Ignition barrel blocked because of a twisted key: If your key is twisted, it is obvious that your neiman will not unblock. Try carefully with a mallet to straighten your key, if you can’t do it, use the duplicate of your key.
- Ignition cylinder If the neiman of your Chevrolet HHR is clogged because of impurities : Use a WD40 type degreaser and let it work for a short while, it should unblock the neiman of your Chevrolet HHR.
- If your key is stuck in your ignition because of a defective element: If finally it is because of an internal element that your ignition lock is no longer unblocked you will unfortunately have to replace the whole block (electronic switch, lock cylinder, neiman), we recommend you to go to a professional who will as well have to give you a new key to begin your Chevrolet HHR.
To discover more tips on the Chevrolet HHR, take a look at the Chevrolet HHR category.