Certain options on our vehicles allow you to benefit from serious driving comfort! In truth, having a GPS built in in your car enables you to stay centered on the road although driving to an unknown destination without any complications. Nevertheless the road network is regularly changing, it is therefore essential to update the GPS of your Honda Ridgeline , and this is accurately what we will see in this article. To do so, first we will review the different characteristics of the integrated GPS for vehicles, and secondly, how to update the GPS of a Honda Ridgeline .
How does onboard GPS work in a Honda Ridgeline
In this part we will learn how the GPS of a Honda Ridgeline works and what are the different kind of GPS.
The advantages of an integrated GPS?
A built-in GPS provides many features that a smart phone GPS or Tomtom-type GPS will not have the ability to give you. Down below is a list of the advantages of these devices:
- The fact that it is built in straight into the dashboard of your Honda Ridgeline makes it hopeless to steal the GPS from your car.
- Linked to your car’s radio antenna, the GPS will have better reception than any form of GPS you could use.
- It is frequently, dependent on the year, attached to steering wheel voice commands, which enables you to use it without taking your hands off the wheel and so to drive more securely.
- The screen is in many instances much larger than a GPS on a smartphone or a nomadic type, so the info is more readable.
- Linked to your audio system, it can be coupled to music and just happen when you replace direction, which limits the risk of you going off course as much as possible.
The different kind of GPS for Honda Ridgeline
After having seen the positive aspects and before detailing to you how to update the GPS of your Honda Ridgeline , we will fairly quickly describe the different types of integrated GPS that exist for a Honda Ridgeline, here they are:
- The traditional GPS: We call traditional GPS the models that equip recent vehicles, they are linked to a whole multimedia system and are equipped with a touch screen.
- The old GPS: These GPS were the first generations, the screen is only used for navigation and they are updated with a USB stick or SD card. These systems, nevertheless basic to use and have a lower screen quality, you’ll experience like you’re watching a TV from the 90’s.
- GPS Android Auto or Apple CarPlay: Finally, last sort of GPS, on the latest automobiles it is possible to have a system including Android or Apple, these systems are autonomous and you use the native applications of one of the two operating systems. They are very responsive and easy to use.
How do I update the GPS on a Honda Ridgeline?
We will now move on to the component you are most keen on, how to update the GPS of your Honda Ridgeline? To do this, we will see for each sort of GPS how the process of updating the cartography, the signalling and the software is done.
Updating old GPS on Honda Ridgeline
The old GPS systems found on the Honda Ridgeline until the years 2000/2005, these GPS use a particular software for the brand and the approach to update this GPS on a Honda Ridgeline is to go to the car dealership who will take care of it, for a 50 euros in most cases.
Updating the GPS of Honda Ridgeline by SD or USB
This sort of GPS is most general on cars that are about ten years old. Most of the manufacturers have called upon the company “HERE navigation” and you will have to go to their site to download the map update of your GPS, then copy it to a USB key or SD card depending on the connectors available on your model and do the update straight through the menu of your integrated GPS.
Automatic GPS update
Most recent Honda Ridgeline’s with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay will update automatically, so there is no need for you to make any updates. You can continue to use your GPS with peace of mind knowing that the map and speed limits are up to date.
If you need more tutorials on the Honda Ridgeline, go to our Honda Ridgeline category.