Our vehicles profit from increasingly more technologies, generally this gives us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its positive aspects, but as well has some down sides, with it, we see bugs showing up! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is intended to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may come across complications and want to turn off the start stop technology on Volkswagen Tiguan . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you understand how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the repeated complications you may confront with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Volkswagen Tiguan work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a modern technology that began to be included into modern vehicles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Volkswagen Tiguan and to preserve the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its effectiveness is specifically relevant in an urban environment. In actual fact, vehicles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The guarantee of start and stop on your car is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. However, on long journeys or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with built-in starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine unit will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will automatically restart.
On some improved types, your Volkswagen Tiguan will even have the ability to shut down although you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Volkswagen Tiguan: Pros and down sides
Although this system has significant positive aspects in terms of environmental conservation and fuel economy, there are nevertheless some down sides to having a start and stop on Volkswagen Tiguan .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a specifically urban use of your Volkswagen Tiguan. You will too. In addition, you will have the ability to advantage from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper car . At last, you will advantage from an additional comfort because your engine unit will be stopped when you pass red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is actually quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . At last, the first generations of start stop technology can suffer a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Volkswagen Tiguan. you will have to buy or change your battery more generally,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Volkswagen Tiguan?
Now let’s move on to the component you’re probably most interested in, how to disable, disconnect or remove the start stop on your Volkswagen Tiguan? .
Based on how you use your car, you may want to disable this system, which can be annoying or you may feel that your starter is encountering premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Volkswagen Tiguan . All these are valid factors to disable your start and stop system.
Here are the two main techniques for disabling the start and stop on Volkswagen Tiguan:
- The traditional method: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your car you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every begin. However, this method needs you to redo the treatment every time you start the car.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Volkswagen Tiguan is switched off completely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Volkswagen Tiguan is switched on accidentally, or that it does not correspond to the use you have of your car. In this case, you can disconnect it by two different solutions. You can create a bridge behind the activation button of your start and stop . At last, second method you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will make your Volkswagen Tiguan presume that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to preserve your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology complications Volkswagen Tiguan
Concerning the different concerns you might come across with the start and stop of your Volkswagen Tiguan . It is possible that this is activated in an unforeseen way , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to change to reverse gear and the car stops. It is possible that this problem is associated with the series of your Volkswagen Tiguan. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as discovered in the previous section to avoid this issue or go to your garage area to see if there is a particular solution. Another problem experienced by Volkswagen Tiguan owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already looked at the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have realized that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not think twice to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of issue. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on Volkswagen Tiguan does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your motor mechanic to correct this issue.
If you wish more tutorials on the Volkswagen Tiguan, go to our Volkswagen Tiguan category.