Our cars profit from increasingly more technologies, generally speaking this brings us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its pros, but as well has some disadvantages, with it, we find out bugs appearing! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is intended to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may encounter complications and want to turn off the start stop technology on Volkswagen Golf . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you figure out how this system works, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the recurring complications you may encountered with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Volkswagen Golf work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a recent technology that began to be included into modern vehicles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Volkswagen Golf and to protect the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its convenience is principally important in an urban environment. In truth, cars can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The promise of start and stop on your car is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. Nevertheless, on long trips or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it works:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with included starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will automatically restart.
On some improved variants, your Volkswagen Golf will even have the ability to shut down while you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Volkswagen Golf: Pros and disadvantages
Although this system has real pros in terms of environmental conservation and fuel economy, there are however some disadvantages to having a start and stop on Volkswagen Golf .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a principally urban use of your Volkswagen Golf. You will too. In addition, you will have the ability to profit from the purchase of a vehicle with a more interesting bonus/malus, allowing you to to buy a cheaper vehicle . Finally, you will profit from an additional comfort because your engine will be stopped when you pass red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is actually quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can suffer a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Volkswagen Golf. you will have to buy or change your battery more quite often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Volkswagen Golf?
Now let’s move on to the part you’re probably most interested in, how to disable, disconnect or take out the start stop on your Volkswagen Golf? .
Depending on how you use your vehicle, you may desire to disable this system, which can be irritating or you may experience that your starter is experiencing premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Volkswagen Golf . All these are valid reasons to disable your start and stop system.
On this website are the two most important techniques for disabling the start and stop on Volkswagen Golf:
- The traditional approach: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your vehicle you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every begin. Nevertheless, this approach requires you to redo the manipulation every time you start the motor vehicle.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Volkswagen Golf is switched off entirely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Volkswagen Golf is switched on accidentally, or that it does not correspond to the use you have of your vehicle. In such a case, you can deactivate it by two different methods. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second approach you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will make your Volkswagen Golf presume that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to preserve your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology complications Volkswagen Golf
Concerning the different complications you might encountered with the start and stop of your Volkswagen Golf . It is possible that this is activated in an unexpected way , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to replace to reverse gear and the vehicle stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your Volkswagen Golf. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as seen in the previous section to avoid this issue or go to your garage to find out if there is a particular solution. Another problem encountered by Volkswagen Golf owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already looked at the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have noticed that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not hesitate to deactivate this system to avoid this sort of issue. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on Volkswagen Golf does not work anymore , in this case, go to your motor mechanic to resolve this issue.
If you want more guides on the Volkswagen Golf, go to our Volkswagen Golf category.