Our vehicles benefit from increasingly more technologies, in most cases this gives us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its advantages, but also has some drawbacks, with it, we see bugs appearing! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is made to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may confront problems and want to turn off the start stop technology on Volkswagen Beetle . But how do I do that? In this post we will help you discover how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the repeated problems you may confront with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Volkswagen Beetle work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a recent technology that began to be incorporated into recent vehicles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Volkswagen Beetle and to preserve the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its usefulness is principally important in an urban environment. Obviously, vehicles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The promise of start and stop on your vehicle is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. Nevertheless, on long journeys or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with integrated starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine unit will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will immediately restart.
On some superior versions, your Volkswagen Beetle will even be able to shut down although you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Volkswagen Beetle: Advantages and drawbacks
Nevertheless this system has significant advantages in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are however some drawbacks to having a start and stop on Volkswagen Beetle .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a principally urban use of your Volkswagen Beetle. You will too. In addition, you will be able to advantage from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, allowing you to to buy a cheaper car . Finally, you will advantage from an additional comfort because your engine unit will be stopped when you pass red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is actually quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . Finally, the first generations of start stop technology can go through a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Volkswagen Beetle. you will have to buy or change your battery more generally,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Volkswagen Beetle?
Now let’s move on to the part you’re probably most enthusiastic about, how to turn off, disconnect or remove the start stop on your Volkswagen Beetle? .
Depending on how you use your car, you may want to turn off this system, which can be irritating or you may feel that your starter is going through premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Volkswagen Beetle . All these are valid factors to disable your start and stop system.
In this article are the two most important techniques for disabling the start and stop on Volkswagen Beetle:
- The traditional technique: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your car you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every start. Nevertheless, this technique needs you to redo the manipulation every time you start the motor vehicle.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Volkswagen Beetle is switched off entirely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Volkswagen Beetle is switched on accidentally, or that it does not match the use you have of your car. In such a case, you can disable it by two different solutions. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . Finally, second technique you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Volkswagen Beetle believe that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to preserve your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology problems Volkswagen Beetle
Concerning the different complications you might encountered with the start and stop of your Volkswagen Beetle . It is possible that this is activated in an unforeseen method , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to change to reverse gear and the car stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your Volkswagen Beetle. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as discovered in the previous section to avoid this problem or go to your garage to see if there is a particular solution. Another problem experienced by Volkswagen Beetle owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already checked out the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have realized that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not think twice to deactivate this system to avoid this sort of problem. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on Volkswagen Beetle does not work anymore , in such a case, go to your mechanic to correct this problem.
To discover more tips on the Volkswagen Beetle, take a look at the Volkswagen Beetle category.