Our automobiles benefit from more and more technologies, generally this provides us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its pros, but also has some down sides, with it, we see bugs showing up! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is designed to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may encounter complications and want to turn off the start stop technology on Mercedes Sprinter . But how do I do that? In this article we will help you discover how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the repeated complications you may confront with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Mercedes Sprinter work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a latest technology that began to be included into recent vehicles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Mercedes Sprinter and to protect the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its convenience is principally important in an urban environment. In truth, automobiles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The guarantee of start and stop on your vehicle is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. Nevertheless, on long journeys or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with integrated starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine unit will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will immediately restart.
On some superior versions, your Mercedes Sprinter will even have the ability to shut down although you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Mercedes Sprinter: Advantages and down sides
Nevertheless this system has significant pros in terms of environmental preservation and fuel economy, there are on the other hand some down sides to having a start and stop on Mercedes Sprinter .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a principally urban use of your Mercedes Sprinter. You will too. Furthermore, you will have the ability to benefit from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, allowing you to to buy a cheaper vehicle . At last, you will benefit from an additional comfort because your engine unit will be stopped when you complete red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . At last, the first generations of start stop technology can undergo a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Mercedes Sprinter. you will have to buy or change your battery more often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Mercedes Sprinter?
Now let’s proceed to the part you’re probably most keen on, how to disable, disconnect or remove the start stop on your Mercedes Sprinter? .
Based on how you use your vehicle, you may need to disable this system, which can be annoying or you may experience that your starter is going through premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Mercedes Sprinter . All these are valid reasons to disable your start and stop system.
In this article are the two main techniques for disabling the start and stop on Mercedes Sprinter:
- The traditional technique: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your vehicle you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every start. Nevertheless, this technique necessitates you to redo the treatment every time you start the car.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Mercedes Sprinter is switched off entirely: It is possible that the start and stop of your Mercedes Sprinter is switched on unintentionally, or that it does not match the use you have of your vehicle. In such a case, you can disconnect it by two different ways. You can create a bridge behind the activation button of your start and stop . At last, second technique you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Mercedes Sprinter think that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to keep your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology complications Mercedes Sprinter
Concerning the different complications you might encountered with the start and stop of your Mercedes Sprinter . It is possible that this is activated in an unpredicted technique , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to change to reverse gear and the vehicle stops. It is possible that this problem is related to the series of your Mercedes Sprinter. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as discovered in the previous section to avoid this issue or go to your mechanic to see if there is a particular remedy. Another problem encountered by Mercedes Sprinter owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already looked at the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have noticed that they are much more expensive than classic batteries, do not think twice to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of issue. Finally, it may be that your start and stop on Mercedes Sprinter does not work anymore , in this case, go to your mechanic to solve this issue.
To find more tips on the Mercedes Sprinter, take a look at the Mercedes Sprinter category.