Our vehicles profit from increasingly more technologies, generally speaking this brings us an additional comfort of use. Having said that, technology has its positive aspects, but as well has some disadvantages, with it, we see bugs showing up! One of them is the Start and Stop feature, which is made to help you save fuel and preserve the planet. You may confront problems and want to turn off the start stop technology on Mazda 5 . But how do I do that? In this article we will help you figure out how this system functions, how to disable start and stop on xxx, and what are the repeated problems you may come across with this option.
How does the Start Stop on Mazda 5 work?
Start Stop technology operation
Start Stop is a recent technology that began to be integrated into modern vehicles about ten years ago. This technology aims to limit the fuel consumption of your Mazda 5 and to protect the environment by limiting CO2 emissions. Its effectiveness is mainly relevant in an urban environment. In truth, vehicles can be made to spend up to 35% of their time at a standstill during urban journeys. The guarantee of start and stop on your car is to save you between 5% and 15% in fuel consumption. However, on long journeys or secondary roads, its usefulness is limited. How it functions:
- A reinforced starter or a last generation alternator with built-in starter
- When you shift into neutral and release the clutch pedal, the engine will shut off.
- When you shift into gear, the car will automatically restart.
On some improved versions, your Mazda 5 will even have the ability to shut down although you are not stopped (up to 20km/h on some start and stop).
Start Stop Mazda 5: Positive aspects and disadvantages
Nevertheless this system has real positive aspects in terms of environmental conservation and fuel economy, there are on the other hand some disadvantages to having a start and stop on Mazda 5 .
You will make fuel and CO2 emission savings if you have a mainly urban use of your Mazda 5. You will too. In addition, you will have the ability to benefit from the purchase of a car with a more interesting bonus/malus, permitting you to to buy a cheaper vehicle . At last, you will benefit from an additional comfort because your engine will be stopped when you pass red lights or stops.
It’s not interesting for you to have this system if you drive on secondary roads . This system is quite expensive to buy (between 500 and 1500€) . At last, the first generations of start stop technology can suffer a premature wear of the starter and the battery of your Mazda 5. you will have to buy or change your battery more often,
How to turn off Start Stop technology on Mazda 5?
Now let’s move on to the component you’re probably most keen on, how to turn off, disconnect or remove the start stop on your Mazda 5? .
Based on how you use your vehicle, you may need to turn off this system, which can be annoying or you may feel that your starter is experiencing premature wear, or you may have had to purchase a new AGM or EFB battery on your Mazda 5 . All these are valid reasons to disable your start and stop system.
Here are the two main techniques for turning off the start and stop on Mazda 5:
- The traditional approach: Know, if you don’t already know it, that there is a start and stop disable button on your center console (depending on the year of your vehicle you may have a button labeled “ECO”, “Start and Stop” or “S&S”) that you can use to disconnect your start and stop on every begin. However, this approach requires you to redo the manipulation every time you start the motor vehicle.
- It is possible that the start and stop of your Mazda 5 is switched off totally: It is possible that the start and stop of your Mazda 5 is switched on accidentally, or that it does not match the use you have of your vehicle. In such a case, you can disable it by two different methods. You can create a bridge at the rear of the activation button of your start and stop . At last, second approach you can disconnect the battery charge indicator cable that is on the terminals of your battery, which will produce your Mazda 5 think that the battery is tired and will deactivate the start and stop to keep your autonomy.
Start Stop Technology problems Mazda 5
Concerning the different complications you might encountered with the start and stop of your Mazda 5 . It is possible that this is activated in an unpredicted method , for example you are doing a manoeuvre and you don’t have time to replace to reverse gear and the vehicle stops. It is possible that this problem is associated with the series of your Mazda 5. Try to completely deactivate your Start and Stop as seen in the previous section to avoid this issue or go to your garage area to see if there is a particular remedy. Another problem experienced by Mazda 5 owners is that you may experience premature wear of your battery or starter motor. These particular parts for start and stop are expensive, and if you have already checked out the battery prices for xxx or those of the starters you must have realized that they are much more expensive than traditional batteries, do not hesitate to deactivate this system to avoid this kind of issue. Finally, it might be that your start and stop on Mazda 5 does not work anymore , in this case, go to your motor mechanic to resolve this issue.
If you wish more guides on the Mazda 5, go to our Mazda 5 category.