Having an automobile is helpful, only a vehicle means a breakdown… And sadly, we know very well, also the luckiest among us hardly ever fall through the cracks. However, between an automobile that doesn’t start in the morning and breaking down on the highway, the consequences are going to be quite different. Whatever the case, a Dodge Nitro that doesn’t drive is complex to move and the only treatment is often to tow it to the nearest garage. In this content page we will show you how to tow a Dodge Nitro, respecting the legislation and guaranteeing maximum safety. To achieve this, first we will have a look at the rules to follow when towing a Dodge Nitro, then how to tow a Dodge Nitro yourself, and at last, the most sensible solution is to hire a specialist to tow your car.
The rules to follow if you want to tow an Dodge Nitro
It is surely possible to tow your car. However, if you want to go into towing a Dodge Nitro you will have to follow some regulation. We present them to you down below:
- Do not drive on motorways or expressways, since the speed at which you will tow your Dodge Nitro may endanger yourself and other drivers if you do it on an expressway.
- Do not surpass 25 km/h, you must always stay in control of both cars, a high speed will not let you to anticipate possible problems and the towed car may enter the first one
- Limit yourself to short distance journeys. If you have to travel several dozen kilometres, it is better to call a breakdown service.
- When towing, try to ensure that the Dodge Nitro and the car towing it are correctly aligned, to keep up a great behaviour.
- Turn on the warnings lights on both cars.
- If the Dodge Nitro being towed has no battery, you will need to use a removable plate connected to the first car so that you can warn the drivers behind you.
How to tow a Dodge Nitro by yourself
Now that you have found out the basic rules for securely towing a Dodge Nitro, we will teach you the different techniques to do it:
- Use only a tow bar to tow your Dodge Nitro, as ropes, straps or other products are not appropriate and will only risk you having an accident. If the towing device is flexible, you risk hitting the towing car. It will be better to buy a towing bar.
- You can use one of the three kinds existing tow bars to tow your Dodge Nitro, telescopic bars (40 to 50 euros), folding bars (30 to 100 euros) and standard bars (30 to 40 euros).
- Examine that you have two towing rings on the cars, which will allow you to connect them together with the tow bar.
- Examine that the towing car is heavier than the car to be towed.
- Have working signalling on the Dodge Nitro to be towed.
These are the regulation to follow if you want to tow your Dodge Nitro. However keep in mind that this remedy should only be used for short distances to avoid a more expensive towing, if you have a long distance to cover we encourage you to read the following section.
Have your Dodge Nitro towed by a specialist
To conclude, last part of our guide, if you are not able to tow your Dodge Nitro in good conditions, it keeps the most rational remedy, to call a tow truck to tow your car. This might seem like an expensive choice, but in most insurance contracts, there is a clause that allows you to use their services totally free. Here are the details to examine on your insurance contract before calling a tow truck:
- That the distance between your home and the place of breakdown is matching with the mileage included in your contract (generally covered more than 50 km from your home).
- Examine that the complications you are facing are well taken care of by your insurer.
- Finally, examine the deductible amount on your account.
Now you have all the info you need to tow your Dodge Nitro in good conditions.
To discover more tips on the Dodge Nitro, take a look at the Dodge Nitro category.