Having a vehicle is practical, only a vehicle means a breakdown… And unfortunately, we know perfectly, also the luckiest among us hardly ever fall through the cracks. Nevertheless, between a car that doesn’t start in the morning and breaking down on the highway, the results are going to be quite different. Whatever the case, a Cadillac DTS that doesn’t drive is hard to move and the only solution is often to tow it to the closest garage. In this content page we will explain how to tow a Cadillac DTS, respecting the legislation and guaranteeing maximum safety. To do this, first we will look at the rules to stick to when towing a Cadillac DTS, then how to tow a Cadillac DTS yourself, and finally, the most sensible solution is to hire a specialist to tow your car.
The rules to stick to if you want to tow an Cadillac DTS
It is in truth possible to tow your automobile. Nevertheless, if you want to go into towing a Cadillac DTS you will have to stick to some simple rules. We present them to you just below:
- Do not drive on motorways or expressways, since the speed at which you will tow your Cadillac DTS may put at risk yourself and other motorists if you do it on an expressway.
- Do not surpass 25 km/h, you must all the time stay in control of both automobiles, a high speed will not allow you to anticipate possible problems and the towed car may enter the first one
- Limit yourself to short distance journeys. If you have to travel several dozen kilometres, it is better to call a breakdown service.
- When towing, try to be sure that the Cadillac DTS and the car towing it are correctly aligned, to hold a good behaviour.
- Switch on the warnings lights on both automobiles.
- If the Cadillac DTS being towed has no battery, you will need to use a removable plate connected to the first automobile so that you can warn the drivers behind you.
How to tow a Cadillac DTS by yourself
Now that you have found out the basic protocols for securely towing a Cadillac DTS, we will learn you the different solutions to do it:
- Use only a tow bar to tow your Cadillac DTS, as ropes, straps or other products are not suitable and will only risk you having an accident. If the towing device is flexible, you risk hitting the towing automobile. It will be better to buy a towing bar.
- You can use one of the three types of existing tow bars to tow your Cadillac DTS, telescopic bars (40 to 50 euros), folding bars (30 to 100 euros) and standard bars (30 to 40 euros).
- Check that you have two towing rings on the automobiles, which will allow you to connect them together with the tow bar.
- Check that the towing automobile is heavier than the automobile to be towed.
- Have functioning signalling on the Cadillac DTS to be towed.
These are the regulation to stick to if you want to tow your Cadillac DTS. Nevertheless remember that this remedy should only be used for short distances to avoid a more expensive towing, if you have a long distance to cover we encourage you to read the following section.
Have your Cadillac DTS towed by a specialist
Finally, last part of our guidebook, if you are not able to tow your Cadillac DTS in good conditions, it keeps the most rational resolution, to call a tow truck to tow your car. This might sound like an expensive choice, but in most insurance contracts, there is a clause that allows you to use their services absolutely free. Here are the points to check on your insurance contract before calling a tow truck:
- That the distance between your home and the place of breakdown is in accordance with the mileage insured in your agreement (generally covered more than 50 km from your home).
- Check that the problems you are struggling with are well taken care of by your insurer.
- At last, check the deductible amount on your account.
Now you have all the info you need to tow your Cadillac DTS in good conditions.
To discover more tips on the Cadillac DTS, take a look at the Cadillac DTS category.