If you’re a bit of a handy person, you’re most likely wanting to take care of almost all of the work to be carried out on your Mercedes Benz GL Class, but some are more complicated than others and necessitate the removal of body parts or parts to access the component you want to operate on. We really want to help you in this operation. That’s why today we are going to find out how to remove the bumper from a Mercedes Benz GL Class. This process is not very complicated and you should be able to do it with few equipment. To do so , first we will discover how to remove the front bumper of your Mercedes Benz GL Class, then how to remove the rear bumper of this one.
How to remove the front bumper from a Mercedes Benz GL Class
So let’s start our content page with the front bumper of your Mercedes Benz GL Class. To take it off, you will just need a set of ratchet wrenches, some screwdrivers and torx bits. Here are the steps you will have to adhere to to be able to disassemble the bumper of your Mercedes Benz GL Class in good conditions:
- If you want to be more comfortable, we advise you to lift your Mercedes Benz GL Class and to remove the front wheels to have a best access to the whole front bumper.
- Open the bonnet of your automobile: Seems evident, but you will need to have access to the bumper attachment in your engine compartment.
- Take away the wheel arches: They’re also described as fenders, but they’ll get in the way and prevent you from accessing all the screws on the front bumper of your Mercedes Benz GL Class. According to your automobile features and the year of your model, you will also be able to find staples, to achieve this, you will just have to use a staple extractor or to do it delicately with a big flat screwdriver, and use a lever to open the staple.
- Then you will have to unscrew the screws that is in back of your mudguard and that locks the front bumper of your Mercedes Benz GL Class on the sides.
- Unscrew the screws or remove the clips on the upper part of the bumper in the engine bay.
- Now it’s time to go beneath your Mercedes Benz GL Class to unscrew the bolts that are on the chassis of the automobile, you will find some in the middle of the bumper and on the sides.
- Remember to unplug the connection of the plate lighting and the distance control sensor if you have it.
- Carefully remove the front bumper by first unclipping the sides. If it doesn’t come off, you perhaps forgot a screw or a clip. Think of working with a carpet or other to avoid that it gets scratched by touching the ground.
That’s it, you’ve seen all the steps of how to remove the front bumper from your Mercedes Benz GL Class, to reassemble it adhere to the steps in the opposite direction.
How to remove the rear bumper from a Mercedes Benz GL Class
And to finish, even if the operation is quite equivalent, we will look at the case of removing the rear bumper from your Mercedes Benz GL Class. For each step to avoid repeating ourselves we will only give you the broad highlights, read the part 1 if you have any uncertainties or questions for more info.
- Start with executing the same first step, that is, lift your Mercedes Benz GL Class and take off your rear wheels to be able to have an optimal working area to remove the bumper of your Mercedes Benz GL Class serenely
- Remove the rear wheel arches of your Mercedes Benz GL Class to access the side bumper side brackets
- Open your trunk
- Take away the side brackets in your wheel arches to make it less complicated to remove the bumper from your Mercedes Benz GL Class.
- Take away the lower bindings below your Mercedes Benz GL Class.
- While doing so, remember to disconnect the rear license plate light and the reverse radar sensors if you are equipped with them.
- Unscrew the top brackets from the top of the trunk.
- Now all you have to do is remove the rear bumper from your Mercedes Benz GL Class, adhere to the same technique as for the front bumper
Here, you have seen through these two parts, how to remove the bumper from a Mercedes Benz GL Class whether it is the front one or the rear one the ways are just about the same and it is enough to be meticulous to make everything go well.
If you wish more tutorials on the Mercedes Benz GL Class, go to our Mercedes Benz GL Class category.