If you’re a bit of a do-it-yourselfer, you’re likely willing to look after almost all of the maintenance to be achieved on your BMW 2 Series, but some are more difficult than others and need the removal of body parts or parts to access the component you want to focus on. We would like to help you in this process. That’s why today we are going to discover how to remove the bumper from a BMW 2 Series. This action is not very difficult and you should be able to do it with few tools. For that, first we will discover how to remove the front bumper of your BMW 2 Series, then how to remove the rear bumper of this one.
How to remove the front bumper from a BMW 2 Series
So let’s begin our document with the front bumper of your BMW 2 Series. To take it off, you will just require a set of ratchet wrenches, some screwdrivers and torx bits. Here are the steps you will have to adhere to to be able to disassemble the bumper of your BMW 2 Series in good conditions:
- If you want to be more comfortable, we suggest you to put your BMW 2 Series on stands and to remove the front wheels to have a good access to the whole front bumper.
- Open the bonnet of your vehicle: Would seem evident, but you will need to have access to the bumper attachment in your engine compartment.
- Take off the wheel arches: They’re also identified as fenders, but they’ll get in the way and prevent you from accessing all the screws on the front bumper of your BMW 2 Series. Depending on your automobile features and the year of your model, you will also be able to find staples, to accomplish this, you will just have to use a staple extractor or to do it delicately with a big flat screwdriver, and use a lever to open the staple.
- Then you will have to unscrew the screws that is in back of your mudguard and that fastens the front bumper of your BMW 2 Series on the sides.
- Unscrew the screws or remove the clips on the upper part of the bumper in the engine compartment.
- Now it’s time to go underneath your BMW 2 Series to unscrew the bolts that are on the chassis of the automobile, you will find some in the middle of the bumper and on the sides.
- Make sure disconnect the connection of the plate lighting and the distance control sensor if you have it.
- Carefully remove the front bumper by first unclipping the sides. If it doesn’t come off, you probably forgot a screw or a clip. Think of employing a carpet or other to avoid that it gets scratched by touching the ground.
That’s it, you’ve seen all the steps of how to remove the front bumper from your BMW 2 Series, to reassemble it adhere to the steps in the opposite direction.
How to remove the rear bumper from a BMW 2 Series
And to finish, even if the operation is quite similar, we will check out the case of removing the rear bumper from your BMW 2 Series. For each step to avoid repeating ourselves we will only give you the broad outlines, read the part 1 if you have any doubts or questions for more info.
- Start with executing the same first step, that is, lift your BMW 2 Series and take out your rear wheels to be able to have an ideal working space to remove the bumper of your BMW 2 Series without trouble
- Remove the rear wheel arches of your BMW 2 Series to access the side bumper side brackets
- Open your trunk
- Take off the side brackets in your wheel arches to make it much easier to remove the bumper from your BMW 2 Series.
- Take off the lower bindings underneath your BMW 2 Series.
- At the same time, remember to disconnect the rear license plate light and the reverse radar sensors if you are equipped with them.
- Unscrew the top brackets from the top of the trunk.
- Now all you have to do is remove the rear bumper from your BMW 2 Series, adhere to the same process as for the front bumper
Here, you have learned through these two parts, how to remove the bumper from a BMW 2 Series whether it is the front one or the rear one the ways are more or less the same and it is enough to be careful to make everything go well.
To discover more tips on the BMW 2 Series, take a look at the BMW 2 Series category.