Regardless of you need to move house, go on holiday with a caravan, get rid of of green waste, or have a hitch is pretty handy. In this article, we will show you the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Renault Espace . In actual fact, even if the installation process is not complex, it is necessary to describe some points to consider this task without any problem. Firstly, we will discover what the electrical wiring harness of your motor vehicle hitch consists of, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Renault Espace .
What’s the wiring harness for a Renault Espace hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Renault Espace?
So we will commence our content page by explaining the principles of a wiring harness of a Renault Espace. In order to understand how it functions, you must already understand its necessity. If you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is necessary and above all mandatory by the highway code to follow certain laws, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to satisfy all the electrical regulations, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Renault Espace . We will concentrate on this in this article, if you want to find out how to install the hitch of a Renault Espace, please discover our content page on this theme.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Renault Espace?
We will now quickly show you how the electrical connection of your hitch functions. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your motor vehicle to power the hitch lights on your Renault Espace. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Renault Espace trailer, 7 pins : This is the classic plug that will be located on all Renault Espace hitches. This electrical connection will enable you to transmit all the lighting functions needed for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will discover a plug for each function (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Renault Espace: This plug system is specifically used for caravans that require 12 volts inside to supply the different electrical equipment in the cabin. This sort of connection requires the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the car is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Renault Espace?
To end this content page, we will quickly show you you how to make the connection of the wiring harness of your Renault Espace .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Renault Espace?
To install the wiring harness of an old Renault Espace, you will have to go and get all the necessary cables in the rear lights of this one. We advise you to call in a motor vehicle electrician for this intervention because it is complex, but we will nevertheless summarize the most important steps to be performed:
- Remove the trunk lining from your Renault Espace to access the rear light unit.
- Locate the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Renault Espace?
For recent Renault Espaces, the wiring harness is much easier to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will discover specific ones for your Renault Espace and universal models. It’s up to you to select according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Remove the trunk lining from your Renault Espace so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Renault Espace and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the case in the trunk properly.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Renault Espace?
Finally, to end this content page we will quickly show you you how to make the electrical connection of a caravan on your Renault Espace . To do this you will inevitably have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to select the one that corresponds to your model and your budget. After you have conducted this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Renault Espace, do not hesitate to consult our Renault Espace category.