If you need to move house, go on vacation with a caravan, dispose of green waste, or have a hitch is fairly handy. On this page, we will show you the electrical connection of a trailer hitch of a Chevrolet Colorado . In truth, even if the set up process is not difficult, it is necessary to explain some details to consider this task without any problem. Firstly, we will discover what the electrical wiring harness of your motor vehicle hitch consists of, then, in a second step, how to make the electrical connection of the hitch of a Chevrolet Colorado .
What’s the wiring harness for a Chevrolet Colorado hitch trailer?
Why do we have to connect a wiring harness with the hitch trailer of a Chevrolet Colorado?
So we will commence our content by detailing the principles of a wiring harness of a Chevrolet Colorado. In order to discover how it works, you must already discover its necessity. If you have a trailer or a caravan to tow, it is fundamental and above all mandatory by the highway code to respect certain laws, here they are:
- A solid chassis for the trailer…
- Wheels that fit.
- An electrical connection.
- A license plate in plain sight.
- A stoplight repeater.
- A traffic light repeater.
- A blinker repeater.
- License plate illumination.
- A fog light repeater.
In order to meet all the electrical regulations, you will need to install a wiring harness connection on the hitch trailer of your Chevrolet Colorado . We will concentrate on this in this article, if you want to learn how to install the hitch of a Chevrolet Colorado, please discover our content on this theme.
What is the electrical connection of the trailer hitch of a Chevrolet Colorado?
We will now quickly show you how the electrical connection of your hitch works. The connection uses the 12-volt current from your motor vehicle to power the hitch lights on your Chevrolet Colorado. There are two different systems of electrical connection for a hitch, here they are:
- The 7-pin electric plug for a Chevrolet Colorado trailer, 7 pins : This is the traditional plug that will be found on all Chevrolet Colorado hitches. This electrical connection will allow you to transmit all the lighting functions required for the rear signalling of your trailer, you will find a plug for each function (left and right indicators, ground, fog light, left and right position light, left and right brake light).
- Electrical connection for caravan with 13-pin plug for Chevrolet Colorado: This plug system is principally used for caravans that require 12 volts inside to supply the different electrical devices in the cabin. This type of connection necessitates the use of an adapter. The extra pins will bring the 12 volt power permanently (to recharge a battery in the caravan) and the 12 volt power in use (to use the 12 volt equipment when the car is switched on).
How do I hook up the wiring harness of a Chevrolet Colorado?
To finish this content, we will quickly show you you how to produce the connection of the wiring harness of your Chevrolet Colorado .
How to make the connection of the wiring harness of an old Chevrolet Colorado?
To install the wiring harness of an old Chevrolet Colorado, you will have to go and get all the necessary cables in the rear lights of this one. We recommend you to call in a motor vehicle electrician to do this intervention because it is difficult, but we will nevertheless summarize the main steps to be accomplished:
- Remove the trunk lining from your Chevrolet Colorado to access the rear light unit.
- Identify the wires that correspond to each of the taillight functions.
- Connect them to the lugs on the wiring harness on your hitch.
- Close the whole thing down.
How do you connect the wiring harness of a recent Chevrolet Colorado?
For recent Chevrolet Colorados, the wiring harness is much easier to connect:
- You can use a multiplexable box, you will find specific ones for your Chevrolet Colorado and universal models. It’s up to you to select according to your budget, know that a universal version costs between 30 and 60 euros.
- Remove the trunk lining from your Chevrolet Colorado so that you can route the cables from your box to the front of your Chevrolet Colorado and connect them to your fuse box.
- Install the circumstance in the trunk properly.
- You don’t have to retrieve your cables from the trunk and connect them to your outlet.
How do you hook up the power to a trailer on Chevrolet Colorado?
Finally, to finish this content we will quickly show you you how to produce the electrical connection of a caravan on your Chevrolet Colorado . To achieve this you will automatically have to go through one of the previous steps, it’s up to you to select the one that means your model and your budget. After you have done this, the last step will be to buy an adapter that goes from a 7-pin plug to a 13-pin plug so that you can benefit from the 12 volt current in your caravan. These adapters come at different prices, you will need to count between 15 and 40 euros. All you have to do is plug it into your 7-pin plug.
Whenever you have any additional questions about the Chevrolet Colorado, do not hesitate to consult our Chevrolet Colorado category.