In this article we will try to help you solve a problem that can be annoying, and if not taken on time become a financial drain. In truth, spotting a leak on your car is rarely reassuring, and it is even less reassuring when it’s a gearbox leak on your Volkswagen Touran 3 . Today, we’re going to help you confirm that it’s in fact a gearbox leak, then, how to fix a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, finally, give you an indication of the price of the gearbox of a Volkswagen Touran 3.
Gearbox leak on Volkswagen Touran 3, origin and symptom
If you have noticed an oil stain on the ground, you will need to confirm that this leak is in fact caused by the gearbox of your Volkswagen Touran 3. To accomplish this, you will need to go under your vehicle and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be caused by your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once established, here are the possible roots of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s wrongly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Only present on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event it is cracked or broken
- One of your seals broken
How to fix a gearbox leak on Volkswagen Touran 3?
After discovering the different roots of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Volkswagen Touran 3, we will try to show you to you what are your possibilities to fix this oil leak. Realize that no matter the reason, after having determined a leak, you must go to a garage area to distinguish the exact origin of the leak, otherwise your gearbox might be irreparably broken. However, here is how the service of the garage area and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to distinguish the leak, the mechanic will have to dismantle your gearbox, which will necessitate a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your mechanic will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Volkswagen Touran 3, otherwise you’ll have to replace the whole gearbox
- At last, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is just effective in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Volkswagen Touran 3?
There aren’t many solutions to avoid gearbox leaks on your Volkswagen Touran 3 , however here are the three most effective:
- Frequent oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this action, please browse our article on this subject.
- Use a particular additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug slight leaks, you will find some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Volkswagen Touran 3 gearbox
At last, we would like to give you an indication of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Volkswagen Touran 3. As you have understood, gearbox problems generally lead to a whole replace of this part. It is tricky to give you a precise price because based on the garage area the labour can vary quite a lot and based on your engine the component will as well have a different price, however, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the component alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
In the event that you have any additional questions about the Volkswagen Touran 3, do not hesitate to consult our Volkswagen Touran 3 category.