Today we will try to help you solve a issue that can be frustrating, and if not taken in time become a financial drain. In actual fact, spotting a leak on your car is hardly ever reassuring, and it is even less reassuring when it’s a gearbox leak on your Volkswagen Passat . Today, we’re going to help you verify that it’s obviously a gearbox leak, then, how to remedy a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention tips, and, at last, give you an idea of the price of the gearbox of a Volkswagen Passat .
Gearbox leak on Volkswagen Passat , source and symptom
If you have detected an oil stain on the ground, you will need to verify that this leak is obviously originating from the gearbox of your Volkswagen Passat . To achieve this, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be originating from your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once verified, here are the possible sources of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s improperly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just present on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In case it is cracked or damaged
- One of your seals damaged
How to repair a gearbox leak on Volkswagen Passat ?
After discovering the different sources of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Volkswagen Passat , we will try to explain to you what are your possibilities to remedy this oil leak. Realize that in any case, after having identified a leak, you must go to a garage to identify the exact source of the leak, otherwise your gearbox might be irreparably damaged. Nevertheless, here is how the service of the garage and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to identify the leak, the auto mechanic will have to dismantle your gearbox, which will require a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your auto mechanic will change it and reassemble the gearbox of your Volkswagen Passat , otherwise you’ll have to replace the whole gearbox
- Finally, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is only powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Volkswagen Passat ?
There aren’t many alternatives to avoid gearbox leaks on your Volkswagen Passat , nevertheless here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this action, please examine our content page on this subject matter.
- Use a particular additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and enable to plug slight leaks, you will discover some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Volkswagen Passat gearbox
Finally, we would like to give you an idea of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Volkswagen Passat . As you have realized, gearbox problems quite often lead to a whole replace of this part. It is hard to give you a precise price because depending on the garage the labour can vary a lot and depending on your engine the part will as well have a different price, nevertheless, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
If perhaps you have any additional questions about the Volkswagen Passat , do not hesitate to consult our Volkswagen Passat category.