In this article we will try to help you solve a issue that can be irritating, and if not handled on time become a financial drain. In fact, spotting a leak on your vehicle is rarely reassuring, and it is even less reassuring when it’s a gearbox leak on your Opel Vivaro . Today, we’re going to help you verify that it’s indeed a gearbox leak, then, how to repair a gearbox or transmission leak, then, give you some prevention suggestions, and, finally, give you an indication of the price of the gearbox of a Opel Vivaro.
Gearbox leak on Opel Vivaro, source and manifestation
If you have noticed an oil stain on the ground, you will need to confirm that this leak is indeed originating from the gearbox of your Opel Vivaro. To get this done, you will need to go under your car and follow the oil leak. If it is transmission oil, it must be originating from your gearbox sump or an adjacent room. Once confirmed, here are the possible origins of this transmission leak:
- A gearbox cap: If it’s incorrectly screwed on…
- Defective torque converter: Just equipped on automatic gearboxes.
- From the transmission oil sump: In the event that it is cracked or damaged
- One of your seals damaged
How to fix a gearbox leak on Opel Vivaro?
After discovering the different origins of a gearbox or transmission oil leak on your Opel Vivaro, we will try to explain to you what are your options to repair this oil leak. Remember that in any case, after having distinguished a leak, you must go to a garage area to distinguish the exact source of the leak, otherwise your gearbox might be irreparably damaged. However, here is how the service of the garage area and the solutions that will be offered to you:
- Very often to distinguish the leak, the technician will have to dismantle your gearbox, which will necessitate a high labour cost.
- If you’re lucky and it’s just a gasket, your technician will replace it and reassemble the gearbox of your Opel Vivaro, otherwise you’ll have to replace the complete gearbox
- At last, for the do-it-yourselfers, it is possible to use a sealing kit which is just powerful in the case of small leaks, this kit is worth around 40 euros
Prevention: How to avoid gearbox leaks on your Opel Vivaro?
There aren’t many alternatives to avoid gearbox leaks on your Opel Vivaro , however here are the three most effective:
- Regular oil changes on your gearbox deck.
- Drain your gearbox and put new oil in it. If you want to know everything about this task, please go through our content on this subject matter.
- Use a specific additive for maintenance of gearbox seals, these additives will restore flexibility and allow to plug moderate leaks, you will discover some for a few dozen euros at Oscaro.
Price of a Opel Vivaro gearbox
At last, we would like to give you an indication of how much it costs to replace the gearbox of a Opel Vivaro. As you have realized, gearbox problems quite often lead to a complete replace of this part. It is hard to give you a precise price because based on the garage area the labour can vary a lot and based on your engine the part will also have a different price, however, we estimate that the repair, labour included will cost you between 800 and 2000 euros , knowing that the part alone costs between 400 and 1000 euros.
If you want more tutorials on the Opel Vivaro, go to our Opel Vivaro category.