A catalytic converter is a vital part of modern cars, as it purifies your vehicle’s exhaust gases and thus matches modern pollution requirements. However, it is possible that it may become clogged or malfunction, in which case a replace or cleaning is fundamental. Today we are going to check out how to clean a catalytic converter on Tesla Model X? To achieve this, to begin with, we will describe the scenarios in which it might be interesting to clean the catalytic converter of your Tesla Model X, then, how to perform this cleaning to retrieve the overall performance of the catalytic converter of your car.
Why would you want to clean up the catalytic converter of your Tesla Model X?
In this first section we will show you why it might be valuable to clean the catalyst of your Tesla Model X . Indeed for some of you it might seem obvious but most of you do not understand how it functions and the results dirty catalytic converter .
Role and functioning of the catalytic converter of a Tesla Model X
The catalytic converter of your Tesla Model X has the function to get rid of harmful exhaust gases associated with the operation of your engine unit. Indeed, it is one of the most important elements that fight against the pollution discharged by your Tesla Model X. It will transform these harmful gases into water or nonpolluting gases. In order to transform these gases, the catalyst of your Tesla Model X a mesh of precious metals which, when the gases pass at high temperature, will break them down by chemical reaction . A catalytic converter can just work from 400°, it is consequently essential to avoid clogging the catalytic converter of your Tesla Model X. If you are considering making adequately long travels to heat it up frequently (count more than 10 kilometres for the catalyst to reach the right temperature), this will allow you to optimise the life of this element and maintain ideal engine unit performance.
Results of a dirty or faulty catalytic converter on Tesla Model X
We will now find out what can be the results of a dirty or failing catalytic converter on Tesla Model X . This will allow you to identify the signs of illness that should inform you to a breakdown of your catalytic converter, here is the list of symptoms of a faulty catalytic converter:
- The catalytic converter of your Tesla Model X is blocked: As we said earlier, if you make too short journeys like 50% of people, it will not have the time to start functioning and the catalytic converter will clog up with exhaust gases.
- Switching on the engine light: : Following a clogged catalytic converter, engine light of your Tesla Model X may come on, do not think twice to consult our article to find out how to switch it off.
- A faulty lambda sensor : The catalyst functions in close connection with the lambda sensors downstream and upstream of it, they will review the air flowing inside it, if it is clogged the sensors will often times also have problems.
- A metallic noise caused by the exhaust: In case the catalyst is dead you should notice this noise which suggests that that the ceramic is damaged.
Why you should clean the catalytic converter of your Tesla Model X
Before we accomplish with the step you are most likely most interested in, how to clean the catalytic converter of a Tesla Model X? We will show you why it might be important for you to carry out this cleaning. Indeed, a catalytic converter is a very expensive part (about 500 euros with the set up, the price can differ depending to the engines). Furthermore to being no longer good for passing the technical control , you might be at risk of over-consumption of fuel . Finally, the last interest is that cleaning a catalytic converter is not that expensive and doing it frequently will save you a lot of money.
How do you clean the catalytic converter from its Tesla Model X?
Finally here is the step that you are most certainly most interested in in this content page, how to clean the catalytic converter of your Tesla Model X? Know that this process is very very easy, and that there are two techniques to do it:
- Scrubbing the catalytic converter from your Tesla Model X on a regular basis: This strategy is especially practical for persons who mainly do short trips . To do this, nothing could be less difficult, from time to time, make a long trip (about 30 minutes to improve the efficiency of the process), thinking of making your engine go up in revs so that the temperature in the catalyst increases and it can be cleaned.
- To use a catalyst cleaner: You can find some in a motor vehicle center for about 20 euros. All you have to do is add it to your fuel straight in your tank with about half a full tank. Afterwards you will have to drive on a long distance for at least 1 hour at mid-range by trying to go frequently at high rpm . If you can before and afterwards do an exhaust gas analysis to verify that you have recovered healthier exhaust fumes after the procedure. You can carry out this procedure every 15 000km.
If you want more guides on the Tesla Model X, go to our Tesla Model X category.